Help with starting 1st reef tank

Dolphin

Reefing newb
Hi newbie here. I’m starting my first saltwater reef tank and I have a few question. I bought a used 55 gal saltwater set up that I will use some of the stuff that came with it to start up. The light is a Coralife Aqualight with 2 Coralife 10,000K 65 watt lights & 2 Actintc 65 watts. The skimmer is a Seaclone 150 & Maxi-jet for pump. Then 2 Koralia turbo pumps for flow in tank. I also got a heater and all the cleaning supplies that I will need. Any thoughts on this stuff? Now I’m planning on buying more items that I need. I’m doing a 20 gal sump. I’m thinking mag 7 for the return pump. Glass holes. com for the overflow bow. I also need help on what kind of reef salt, test kit, Refactometer, and chemicals I need to get started. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome!
The api liquid test kits are amazing. You shouldn't need any chemicals. Do you have an R/O unit? Are you planning on getting one?
Otherwise, it's off to the store to grab 55 jugs, or, you can buy your water premixed. I do. It's expensive as heck tho..
Other people will chime in about the sump and overflow box. I don't use either so I am no help there.
How old are the bulbs? I'd look into replacing them as they are used.

The SeaClone skimmer is totally worthless sadly you'll want to replace that. I've gone through 3 skimmers (2 of which will be up for sale in December) so far and just bought a fourth for the new tank, so take the time to research that one and pick the best one you can afford. Typically you want to size for one tank size larger than your water volume. So if you have around 75 gallons total water volume you'll want a skimmer sized for like 120 or so.

I wasn't a fan of the api test kits, and have chosen to go with a combination of Salifert/Elos test kits and the Hanna Checker digital test kits. The Hanna Checkers are more expensive up front but are really accurate and you only have to replace the reagents instead of the whole kit saving you money in the long term. I'm not aware of any brand differences in refractometers, just buy one from a good site like premium aquatics (my preffered vendor), bulkreefsupply or Marine Depot.

I use AquaVitro Salinity salt, but there are a lot of good choices out there. DD H2Ocean is what I used to use and a lot of people use Red Sea Max or Instant Ocean.

I'm having a glassholes style overflow built into my custom tank so I think thats a great choice.

I just recently made a sump.

Things to keep in mind:

• Make sure there is enough room in the return/pump section so the pump does not run dry
  • if you are doing an in-sump skimmer ( make sure you have enough room for that )
  • Becareful of the inside cabinet height ( especially with some of the skimmers )
  • Definately build a Bubble trap, I get bubbles from the tank, bubble trap takes care of them
  • I used 1/4 inch plexiglass from Home Depot for the bubble trap ( I tried to cut using many different tools... best one for me was a table saw )
  • my set up is Left to Right... Skimmer/drain, return, empty for future ) 30gal sump on a 75g DT
  • make sure you have enough room in the sump to handle power outage overflow from the DT.
If you need I can take more pics and measurements

IMG_7773.jpg

IMG_7785.jpg

The SeaClone skimmer is totally worthless sadly you'll want to replace that. I've gone through 3 skimmers (2 of which will be up for sale in December) so far and just bought a fourth for the new tank, so take the time to research that one and pick the best one you can afford. Typically you want to size for one tank size larger than your water volume. So if you have around 75 gallons total water volume you'll want a skimmer sized for like 120 or so.

I wasn't a fan of the api test kits, and have chosen to go with a combination of Salifert/Elos test kits and the Hanna Checker digital test kits. The Hanna Checkers are more expensive up front but are really accurate and you only have to replace the reagents instead of the whole kit saving you money in the long term. I'm not aware of any brand differences in refractometers, just buy one from a good site like premium aquatics (my preffered vendor), bulkreefsupply or Marine Depot.

I use AquaVitro Salinity salt, but there are a lot of good choices out there. DD H2Ocean is what I used to use and a lot of people use Red Sea Max or Instant Ocean.

I'm having a glassholes style overflow built into my custom tank so I think thats a great choice.
i have a couple seaclones and i think they work great

It sounds like you are on the right track, and have been given some good advice. You definitely want to upgrade your lights to at least a 6 bulb T5 fixture. Also, look into a better skimmer. I'd suggest the Reef Octopus 110 for that tank.

Back