Help with Sump Setup

viciousfishes

Tank Scaper
Hello Everyone.

Just a quick question.. I am taking the plunge and adding a sump to my 55 gal mixed reef. I purchased a used 10 gal 3 chamber sump with a 300gph eshopps overflow. I'm going to run my coralife super Skimmer in chamber 1, Fuge in the middle chamber, and return pump in chamber 3.

I'm trying to figure out what gph the return pump should be?
My tank is 24" tall and the stand is 30" tall.

Could someone tell me how to determine how much gph I would need

Also us this 10 gall sump going to be big enough?
And how do I keep it from overflowing?

Thanks SO much for any help you can give me

10 gallons is on the small side but if it the biggest that will fit in your stand. Its better then not having one. Your return pump will nees to be in the 400 ti 450 range. When looking. At pumps each brand will have. Charts for expected. Headloss. As far as keeping the sumo.frim overflowing, you will need ti drill a hole in the rerurn line just below the water level. This will break the back siphon. Basucally after you set uo the sump. Fill it to half way on the pump.section. then cut the power and see how muxh drains into it. Mark that lline. Turn the.pumo.back.on and see where the level is at then. Then take a educated. Guess. On where the max line should. Be. Fill to.there then turn iff the pump off. Iff the it.doesnt overfill then you are good.

Holy crap that is worse then I thought....I need to practice with my new phone more before posting again...I hope the original response made some sense to you. If you need any further help just ask.

Back