help with sump tank...build?????

View attachment 6546i have a 30g and i have a 20g tank that i want to make a sump tank...i have the pump,pipes...do i need a skimmer....and what do i need in the mid...if you have a pic,drawing...whatever will...help im trying to do it on low budget...plz help...:helm2::helm2: chuy sump.jpg:HELP!: i was thinking something like thaT

Last edited:
You need, or I should say "should", place a skimmer in the middle compartment. In fact, you may have enough space in your sump to make the middle section a refugium, then place a skimmer in the section with your return pump.

Otherwise, your setup looks solid. That's the setup I have in my sump; LR, skimmer, return.

I'd make the center a fuge as well and put the skimmer in the same compartment with the return pump. The center is big enough for a sand bed and a cheato grow space. Here is a drawing of what I use.

Attachments

• sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 6,756
A 30 gallon doesn't have to have a skimmer, but it would certainly help and allow you to have a great bioload. A tank that small can be a lot harder to keep stable and a skimmer will definitely go a long way to keep the waste down.

Va did your kid do the writing on the sump design...lol!

What you want is the skimmer to skim the dirtiest water.So the skimmer should go in the left chamber.Besides micro-bubbles will be a PITA if you have the skimmer in the return section.The center should be use as a refugium-rock,rubble,sand and macroalgae.

sump.jpg

Nice drawing Dominick. However, it won't be effective if it's not Biff's magic Cheato. Just ask her, if you don't believe me. :lol:

Tucan,Game,Janeway all still up at 3 in the morning?...lol.

Sorry Biff has jinks me before.I'm too afraid to put anything from Biff's tank.

Back