Help! Wtf?

CDaubs

Reefing newb
So, I replaced all of the filters/cartridges on my RO/DI as well as the membrane. I installed a 50gph membrane and installed a matched flow restrictor. I also installed a TDS meter with leads to both the in-flow and out-flow.

Prior to the changes the water pressure meter on the RO/DI unit showed around 40psi. Now it doesn't go above 20psi!!! No leaks, tripled checked all connections, I don't get it! WTF?? :frustrat:

Any ideas?

Also, having never measured my TDS in my tap water, I was surprised to see a reading on the TDS Meter of 70 on the incoming water. Is that high? The out-flow reading is zero, 000.

Thanks for all of your help. :D

Charlie

I'm not sure about the pressure question, but as for the TDS question, 70 is not high at all. Here in Tucson our tap water reads around 400 to 500.

Thanks Biff. The city where I live is known for good water quality. So I guess 70 is pretty low to begin with.

Charlie

I'm not sure about the pressure question, but as for the TDS question, 70 is not high at all. Here in Tucson our tap water reads around 400 to 500.
I think we have the most TDS in the country in our water. I don't know about the rest of you Arizonians but nobody I know drinks tap water here. No wonder why you guys stress RO/DI water so much.

I think 500 TDS is the highest allowed by EPA law. In Arlington County we are below 200. Anything below 100 is low. Vancouver Canada is 30!

Pressure: did you put any filter in backwards? We all make mistakes.

that is what i was going to guess is a filter that is backwards. you can also call the company and ask them about it they will be able to troubleshoot the problem

400 to 500 that just about the limit of drinkable water, i though ours was bad in st. louis area being around 200 to 250.

Yeah it's bad in Tucson. We use one of those filter attachments on our kitchen faucet (just a regular charcoal filter), and we use a Brita pitcher for drinking water in the fridge. Before I had the filter attachment and I would boil pasta, the pasta would come out tasting like tin foil. All the crap would get absorbed into the noodles and it was gross tasting. We have to filter our water even for cooking :(

i'm gonna add whole house filter soon which is basically a big sediment filter that i can change out every 3 months for 10 bucks and unit only cost 40 bucks.

can't find it online but last time i was at lowes it was back in plumbing area next to ro filters, it gets plumbed into your incoming water lined right after shutoff in your house. looks just like regular clear canister for sediment filter on ro unit.

thanks for link bj, using sediment filter alone will save your appliances like washer, hot water heater, dishwasher. Good investment for your home for sure, just got to find you a plumber to install unless your familiar with plumbing.

Well I figured out the water pressure problem. I can't tell you how many times I looked at all the fittings. I was surfing today and came across a picture, looked at it and went ... Hmmmm?

:frustrat: I had the flush line and the out put lines reversed on the membrane canister! Good grief!! :grumble:

So now my meter reads 40 psi again, the flush line works like before, but now my finished water just trickles out!!! I have a new 100 gpd membrane and matched flow restrictor. Water fills all 3 canisters and runs through the system to the next canister. Now what?? Arrgh!! :frustrat:

So now what do you think?? Anyone? :bowdown: PLEASE

So now my meter reads 40 psi again, the flush line works like before, but now my finished water just trickles out!!! I have a new 100 gpd membrane and matched flow restrictor.

I don't know if it is running slower or if this is a fairly new thing you have gotten but 100 gpd is only .07 gal/min or 4.16 gal/hr Not a very fast fill thing. It could have been not working correctly before and now it is. You could figure .07 gal/min out into onces/min and using a measuring cup to see if it is at rated capacity.

Back