Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kennedy98

Reefing newb
HELP I OVERFED MY FISH WELL I MAKE MY OWN FOOD I MIX FLAKES SEAWEED AND MYSIS SHRIMP AND I LINKS MAKE A WATERY PASTE I USUALLY ADD HAVE THE CUP BUT I ADDED ALL OF IT BY ACCIDENT WILL ME FISH DIE?????(sorry for the caps)

Just keep an eye on your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. Do a water change if the ammonia or nitrite rise above 0. As those are very toxic to fish. If those dont spike, the nitrate level probably will. Do a water change to keep that down too.

One overfeed will probably not harm the fish. It is usually constantly overfeeding that causes water quality issues.

Remove as much of the food as possible. Use a net or a spoon, or a paper towel, or whatever. You may see an ammonia spike (I'm not sure exactly how much food you added... How much did you add?) Be ready to do a water change just in case.

well i just did a water change like a week ago and everything is normal like the ammonia it is zero how much ammonia can fish take ?

Can you siphon any of the food out? If it was a paste you might be able to siphon some of the top layer of your sand bed.

Anything above zero is bad and can harm your fish.

It doesn't matter if you did one a week ago, the added fish food can cause water problems now. You need to be ready to do another water change if your ammonia and nitrites spike.

Usually, like BJ said, one overfeeding won't do it.

Maybe. Maybe not. Like I said, you need to watch your parameters, keeping an eye out for ammonia and nitrite, with a water change ready if necessary. Please read the responses above.

I completely agree with Biff.....we can't tell you that this is going to cause a problem but it is much better to be ready for one. I would keep checking your levels and be ready to do a water change.

it depends on how much of an over feeding it is, and how well your biological filter has been established.

How much Live Rock do you have in your tank? Usually, you want to aim for 1-2 pounds per gallon. The bacteria that live inside of it breaks down ammonia into nitrites then into nitrates. The first two are really toxic to fish while the nitrates are not until they get well over around 40ppm.

Like biff said, get ready to do a water change. Just incase. Have the salt water mixed up and just ready. If you dont need to, you will have it ready for your next scheduled maintanance.

Brian

I'd do a water change anyways. You said you did one a week ago, so it's time for one anyways.

I just fed my tank a whole cube of mysis, some cyclopeeze and garlic mix. I turn my sump off for about 5min. to let everything get some food. However, I'm about to do a water change just for my water quality.

I think you should be ok.

I am with Evan. Do a water change today siphoning out as much left over food as you can. Then I'd do another water change tomorrow if it looks like you need to based on your tests.

Your CUC will eat a lot of the left overs and be happy to get some extra.

Do a water change and siphon the food out. Your tank is still young and you don't have enough rock in there to do a good enough job to stabalize the tank...so yeah, if you have not done so already, do a water change asap, removing all food off the sand that you can. Good luck and keep us updated.

ok thanks i am getting a new fish tommorow like at 2 will that still be okay

How old is your tank again? Personally, I would wait until the fish food incident settles down. Monitor your ammonia and nitrite levels. The last thing you want is to add more fish that might die amidst all the excess food, and cause even more ammonia spikes. It's best to be cautious.

Back