Help!!!

clownfish cj

Reefing newb
hi this is clownfish cj's wife writing. our little daughter dumped a bunch of fish food in our tank. HELP!!!! What do I do?? my husband is at work and i can't reach him. he has two clownfish and one other fish he just got - and I don't want to them to die. Is there anything I can do? I don't know hardly anything about his aquarium. it's his hobby.

Can you use a net to try and catch as much of the food as possible? Be careful and don't stir up the sand. Someone with more experience will jump in soon with more info I'm sure.

I wouldnt panic to bad.. get out what you can I agree avoid stirring up the sand and then let your clean up crew do what it can and have your husband just watch the levels in the tank and do a small waterchanges to help keep things in check.. maybe a 15% or more if need be every 3 to 4 days..

Last edited:
Thanks - I got a good amount of the flakes out using the net. The water is still pretty cloudy. My husband returns in about six hours ... Do you think the fish will be OK till then??

Everyone got you covered, I would suggest moving the food and other additives or supplies he has somewhere out of her reach or to a safer location. The fish food is no big deal, but if she had dumped in calcium or other common additive used in the hobby there couldve been more severe results.

This is CJ now,

I came home to a very white cloudy tank! You can only see about 1 or 2 inches into it. I removed 10 gallons (about 20%) of the tanks volume and have put in 5 gallons of new mixed water, the other 5 will be in within the hour. What should I do now?

Complete the water change you are doing. Mix up some more salt water so you will be ready to do another small water change tomorrow. Keep and eye on your parameters and your livestock. Keep us posted and if you start to notice any changes be sure to post again. The folks on the site will do everything they can by offering advice.

What were your parameters before the spill, same as now or have the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate started to go up since the spill?

I can see my 2 clowns moving around, they are moving a little slower, I cannot see my new fish which is a Royal Gramma as it hides in the caves and is hard to see even when the water is clear, I am a little concerned about him, I have only had him in the tank 2 days now, yesterday he looked great and ate with the clowns.

Ok, hopefully someone with more experience will jump in here also, but maybe you should try to vacuum some of the food off the top of your sand bed. Go slowly and try not to stir up the sand alot but try to get up as much food as you can. How much food was dumped in the tank?

I would do another 15 to 20% water change the ammonia needs to drop some.. siphon any you can see off the top of the bed, dont feed for a couple days while you get the ammonia back in check... check again after that water change and do small waterchanges over the next several days as needed to drop it..

Last edited:
Today's water parameters :(

1. PH 8.2
2. Ammonia 2
3. Nitrite .25
4. Nitrate 10

The numbers have gone up, I am a bit worried now, also I noticed one of my margarita snails died :(

I just did a 20% water change and was able to siphon out alot more of the flake food. My wife missed alot of it yesterday :( The reason I couldn't get alot of it out last night is because the water was so cloudy I couldn't see anything in there. The water today is alot better but still cloudy. I cleaned my filter sock out again and my protein skimmer got a lot of stuff out to.

Back