Help

Angelajean

I know that I don't know
Hi
I need to add a couple of fish to my tank while my friend gets her new tank set up. It is 2 tangs and a clown. They are all juveniles. All I have in my 40 is a watchman goby so how would I do this without having a huge ammonia spike?

I imagine water changes every other day. They are setting up a large tank and we are getting there 75, which it will be awhile for us to set it up. We are tank poor at the moment. My son does not relish the idea of transferring his reef to the 75. Part of me says once the fish are back at their home, then just transfer the tank. But I am not sure.

Angie

That's going to be hard on your 40g, and hard on the fish - 2 tangs in a 40g is asking for a ton of bullying! I'd recommend testing your water daily, and also checking with your LFS to see how much boarding the tangs would cost. Do you have sump on your 40? If so then I'd recommend adding more rock to the sump if possible to better handle the increased bioload. How long do you think you'll have them for?

+1 Fishy

Keep a VERY close eye on your parameters as well as the fish themselves. Be prepared to move one of the tangs into a different tank.

A week at most. I think I could keep the clown. One store couldn't or wouldn't take the tangs, not sure which. I will have her check with other one tomorrow. How much would you expect it to cost for the LFS to board them?
Thanks,
Angie

No sump on my 40. I could make the 40 a sump for the 75, but I think that would be overkill. May make the 75 a fish only tank.

I think if you watch your water closely (and have some on hand ready for a water change if you have to), they will be fine in there short-term.

Just an update. Didn't end up taking the fish or the tank, but I am okay with it. We will eventually add a sump. Getting tanks (Biocube 14, 40g) stable over summer has been a time consuming job and we start back to homeschooling in a couple of weeks. We got 3 frags of Xenia and some watermelon zoos from a local guy. $34. Awesome deal.

Back