HELP

tp1011

Reefing newb
Recently changed from kent salt to instant ocean reef crystals second water change using new salt
so I did a WC on sunday and Monday afternoon my sea urchin lost almost all his spikes my toad stool is closed and my frogspawn as well the only thing that is wrong is my PH is like 7.6 7.5 maybe
nitrate 0
nitrite 0
ammonia 0
salinity 1.025-1.026
temp. 80

what should i look for or check?

thankyou ,
t

I've been using Reef Crystals for 3 years and have never had a problem. I'm not saying it is or isn't the salt, but I doubt it is. Usually something like that will be from the two having different mixtures resulting in different parameters. I would use half and half for a couple changes if you have any Kent salt left.

Also, if you did one Sunday and Monday, how much did you do each time and how big is your tank? Maybe it shocked your system.

I know I'm gonna catch hell for this, but here goes. I have NEVER had any luck with IO salt. It used to be bad, back in the late 70's and 80s we joked that it wasn't even good enough for brine shrimp.

I know I'm gonna catch hell for this, but here goes. I have NEVER had any luck with IO salt. It used to be bad, back in the late 70's and 80s we joked that it wasn't even good enough for brine shrimp.
i wont give you hell but i do use it and all good in my 150 gal. tank. and there is always a chance that he got a bad batch of it i guess time will tell

I changed salt brands and did my usual size change. Same thing happened to me. Everything unhappy. Was told that if changing brands do only half the change you would normally do. Eg. We do 250ltr change normally every 4 weeks should have done 100ltr fortnightly for a month until everything got used to it. It's a bit if a shock even if parameters are all close. All our corals recovered fine but it did take about 2 weeks. Good luck

where i live i cant always get the same brand of salt. when i have to change brands i mix it half and half, old and new once or twice. right now i have top fin, instant ocean and instant ocean reef. these are the brands i can usually get. i use a little of each. so far so good

I'd say mix it instead of doing an all at once change with salt brands. I dunno if I'm the unluckiest person with IO products, but I'll never use it again. My fish, inverts and corals look so much better with Red Sea and Marine Environment .

Back