Herbtana

reefkeeper55

Reefing newb
Has anyone ever used a product called Herbtana for ick? Still have an outbreak of ick in my 150 reef tank....just wondering about this product vs taking down my tank to do hypo or copper...Also now my Sailfin has an eye that has become cloudy so the kick ick and rally although it may have helped has not worked just as you guys said... thanks in advance for any help....:sfish:

Any product that you can use in your reef tank or says reef safe on it will not get rid of it. The only way to rid your tank of it is to pull your fish out and treat them with hypo or copper in a QT and leave your DT fishless for about 8 weeks.

As far as your sailfin goes, it sounds like the beginning of popeye to me. I've had several fresh water fish come down with it, and one saltwater fish. I always pulled the FW fish out and treated them for it, and they always passed after a few weeks. The SW fish I led in the DT and just made sure he ate and wasn't stressed and he got better within a week.

If you cant set up a tank for a QT, set up a large rubbermaid container with a heater and some PVC for hiding places. Also, you need to treat ALL of your fish or else the ICK will come back when you start introducing the fish back.

You should also let your dt sit without fish for 60-90 days. I went through this with a client earlier this year. We trapped all her fish and placed them in a 32 gallon trach can with heaters and powerhead. Ran copper for the first 4 weeks and and the last 4 weeks. Her system has been ich free. Its a lengthy process but its best to do it right the first time and much cheaper. Best of luck!

Back