Here Comes the brown

TangLove

Reefing newb
I woke up this morning and had brown algea all over everything. I know that it is something that is suppose to happen, but can anyone tell me why? Or what this may mean? I was pretty sure my cycle was almost over and then this happens.

Probably diatoms.They are just a natural part of the cycle.
If im thinking right,they feed on silicates and will go away on their own after their food source is depleted.

What are your perameter? Do you use ro water? Do you have flow? What kind of food do you feed? Diatoms are caused by lack of flow, nitrates, and phosphates. If you want to learn more theres a artical on it in helpful articals. If you give answeres to the questions I asked I'm sure we can help you more.

I just check my param.
ph 8.2
trites 0
trates 5.0
ammonia 0

and salt where it is suppose to be

I used tap water with a conditioner, and I have a 1200 maxijet with wavemaker.

Thanks

Oh and by the way right now I have nothing in the tank to feed, so I used a little bit of flakes in the beginning because I was told it would help with the cycle,

That might be part of the porb. Flakes have ash in them and can cause a phosphate problem. Do you use ro? Do you have good flow in the tank? Have you checked your water perameters?

Sorry I didnt see your first post. Tap water is very bad it can carry silacates, phosphate, nitrates and other harmfull things. You can get ro or di water from walmart. Your diatoms are probably from a mixture of things like tap, flakes and lack of flow. I dont know how the good wave makers are, but I would add a second maxijet to your 55. Maybe even a third one

I would do week changes of 10%, increase flow, change foods and use only ro water. On the cleanup crew I would add a couple now and if they do good then add more. Your perameters might be worse than they read because the algae might be eating the phos and nitrates before you have a chance to get a good reading.

Yep add a clean up crew slowly. If you add too many snails at once, chances are they'll eat all the food and then a bunch will die of starvation. So add a few, see how things go, if you need more add a few more in a week or so. That way you have just enough to take care of your tank but not so many that they will crash once the food's gone.

Back