Here to pick the experts brains!

stefnshez

Reefing newb
I had a marine nano as a first ever tank 2 years ago. Had worst time with it, crabs, aptasia, bristleworms. Really put me off fishkeeping, reading stories of skin burying insects freaked me out. Sold the tank and bought Juwel Rio 180, false plants, platies, couple of frogs, bristlenose catfish and love it. Never had any problems and not scared to put hand in water of this one, got another tank with tetra, love fishkeeping now and want to try marine again. LFS suggested this:

Use spare Juwel Lido 120 i have, convert to marine
Take out sponge filters and replace with live rock rubble, hammered into tiny pieces that can be checked thoroughy for hitchhikers. Put into pair of tights to prevent creatures too small to see from entering tank, then place into juwel filter.
Put powerhead pump onto left side of tank
change light to marine day and blue (which will have to come on together as only one switch)
use ocean rock (safe from critters) as main display
use fake coral (found excellent quality) for display purposes
get clean up crew when water registers correctly
then get some shrimp (love blood shrimp) and leave tank in this state fr couple of months to give ocean rock chance to become live.
Slowly add one hardy fish after 3-4 months
month later (if water tests ok) add the two clownfish i want
Only 3 or 4 fish and some shrimp. I want easy to maintain, healthy for the fish (important) and a fun tank for a new marine fishkeeper.

Can anyone tell me if this is a suitable environment to raise fish in, I would rather not start this project if putting them at risk. I dont want to add protein skimmer, sump, corals, dont want the coloured patches that appear on the glass/filter housing. Could i do this, as slow as needed, without live rock at all?

Thanks for any advice in advance

If that is a 31g tank then yes you can go without the skimmer. My tank is 27 and i did for a while but since i got my hanging skimmer i love it.

I ordered dry rock from bulk reef supply there is no chance of critters and they have several different kinds. It's very inexpensive also.

Most live rock from your local store wouldn't have critters either if they are keeping it in a tub of cold water which most do.

Get the dry rock and use one or two live pieces to seed it.

Sounds like you have a good plan to me.

All of that is possible except the part about colored patches on your equipment and glass. This is unavoidable, and you will have to clean it.

I think you were misled about the difficulties of the hobby the last time you tried though. Bristleworms are not bad, in fact they are very helpful cleaners. Never heard of skin-burrowing insects... Aiptasia are easy to take care of and keep under control (using natural predators such as shrimp or treating them with a reef-safe chemical) and not all crabs are bad.

It seems you hate everything about saltwater except a couple fish so...why do it? If you love freshwater, stick with freshwater. If you want to try saltwater, by all means, you should, and I hope that you will love it! But I'd recommend not getting into it if you've already made up your mind that you don't like it -- which includes the animals and colors that come with having a saltwater aquariums. Corals are some of the most beautiful inhabitants we can keep in our tanks, and many corals are easier to keep than saltwater fish.

If you start this tank, you are not going to be able to get out of cleaning the glass and the equipment.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site...the ladies have you covered. The pinkish/purple patches, which is coralline algae, are inevitable, but it means your tank is healthy.

Back