Heres what i got

outlazz

Reefing newb
so i just got the set up for a really really good price and i know it needs some upgrades but i think its a good start. let me know.....

65 gallon tank
about 50 pounds of live rock not sure exactly but have receipts for 50
live sand again not sure how much
a penn plax cascade canister filter model 1500
prizm deluxe skimmer
36" light looks like regular aquarium light with marineland bulbs

i bought the setup used and it included some fish and stars. the previous owners told me they had the setup for about 3 years. ive had it running in my house for 3 days now and everyone looks like they are doing ok. i know i need a stronger powerhead, more live rock, and better lighting so i can start growing some coral. so any imput will be much appreciated.

Justin

thanks Smitty. does anyone have any recommendations for lighting or a power head? the tank has very little flow right now and i know it needs more.

for flow i would use koriallas or i like the maxi jet 1200 because they can hooked up to a wavemaker and they also have a upgrade kit that can bring the 1200 up to like 2100gph. On the lighting i would say T5 lighting because it runs cooler than Metal halides and you can basically get any kind of coral. I believe.

There's no way thats 50 lbs of live rock...Any powerhead is fine. You should try to run 10x more flow then your tank size. So with a 65 gallon tank you should be pushing 650 gallons of water...

With T5 lighting you can get soft corals but it isn't strong enough for SPS corals.

Actually,theres a lot of difference in the kinds of powerheads.
Koralias will give more flow with a wider,more gentle pattern.But something like a stock maxi-jet,while pushing 1200gph,is giving a small strong current in the middle,but not a lot outside.
In a 65 gallon tank,I'd go with at least 2 of the koralia #3s.Even better would be 2 of the #4s.You want enough flow to keep waste and detritus in suspension so your filtration can get it.
For lighting,look at T-5s.With the right fixture and individual reflectors,you can keep any corals you want.I kept a 75 gallon with T-5s over it,and had SPS on the sand.

any powhead isnt fine at all maxijet type power heads blast the water out in a jet no good you need korila or tunz power heads the later very expensive go on ebay type in wave maker theres a few on there very cheap about £10 uk pounds make sure you get the ones with the magnetic attacments not suction cups they just fall off. and for for lighting depends what corals you are going to keep 2 x t5 is not strong enough for some sps & lps corals how deep is the tank? and also what you putting in your canister filter

ok so im gunna go with the Koralias #4s but will have to wait a few more weeks on the lighting lol. as far as the canister it has layers of bio sponge and bio floss stacked inside.

You are only a few mins away from 1 of the best saltwater shops in eastern PA. Check out Something Fishy in Northampton if you haven't yet. They sell only saltwater fish/corals and equipment. No need to order online when your so close to them. Most of their prices are very close to any online site. I just picked up a 200g box of Instant Ocean salt for $35 from them.

Back