Hermit caught the stupid

Kizmar

#derpface
Seems like my Electric Blue Hermit crab caught a case of the stupid. He's been found on his back like 4 times in the last week. Before that it's never been an issue. It's getting irritating having to keep an eye on his stupid ass so I can flip him over.

Has anyone else seen this with their hermits? I'm wondering if he's trying to get used to things or if this is going to keep happening. If its going to keep happening he might be better off in a tank with less LR landscaping.

He's been caught picking on my Duncan coral too, which is irritating me almost as much as it appears to irritate my coral.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your crab issues. I've never had that happen. Sounds like he is too dumb to live. What crabs can't flip themselves back over? Did he move into a shell too big for himself? I dunno. I'd let nature run it's course on this one. I mean, bothering your Duncan? Not acceptable.

I have a thin striped hermit which is a few times larger than your typical hermit but I have caught him once or twice caught up in an area where the rock is close to the glass and he got snagged up in there and I had to maneuver him around to get him out. They will go all over the place. I have one in each of my tanks and I have seen them climbing the heater and get near the top of the tank, just funny to watch them fall lol.

My one large crab does that...i watched him for like friggin' 15 min trying to flip himself right side up. Finally I flipped him lol But like saraha said -- "he is too dumb to live" -- survival of the fittest....or in this case, the smartest LOL

That's why I refuse to get turbos. I've lost too many of those stupid snails to the upsidedown disease.

wonton thats funny ive never lost a turbo because they were upside down but we sure have lost plenty of hermits that way.

Really?

Hermits can and will right themselves. If they really get stuck somewhere, they will leave their shell and find a new home. If yours are flipping repeatedly, I'd say they're either sick for some reason (and dying) or a tad "touched". ;)

Really?

Hermits can and will right themselves. If they really get stuck somewhere, they will leave their shell and find a new home. If yours are flipping repeatedly, I'd say they're either sick for some reason (and dying) or a tad "touched". ;)

I'm thinking it's either a bit "touched" or getting desperate to find food. My cuc is pretty sufficient at this point.

Welp, I've left him on his back twice now and he's managed to get right overnight both times. /shrug

If he continues to bother my Duncan coral, he'll be back at the LFS.

Back