Hermit crab and Anenome?

shanet1975

Reefing newb
Morning everyone!!
I just purchased a Red Hairy legged Hermit Crab (I could be way off on the name there, but it is something like that), which is about 3 inches wide. Good sized little sucker. My question is if these fellers are compatable with anenomes, or will they just sit there and destroy one?
Thanks again for all your time...

i got 60 hermits crabs or more in my 125 gallon with a green bubble tip anenome and rock anenome and there doin just fine.

Mint. Thank you.....
I think they the bta's look really cool. Do you have to feed them anything special? I have been feeding the fish and crab either frozen brine shrimp or a got a frozen multi pack of other different things?

my hermit crabs eat algae on rocks, and my maroon clown feed anenome when i feed silver sides and brine shrimp. Once a clown fish host an anenome and you drop food in tank the clown fish takes food to anenome, pretty cool. some people make there own food with chopped shrimp, and whatever else you can buy from store.

I agree with Dfrench,the Red Legged Scarlet will be safe around an anemone.Snails on the other hand,not so much.A 3'' Scarlet could kill large Turbos for there shells.

There is a type of hermit thats red and hairy and gets fairly good sized,thats not reef safe.
We've had some at Bermuda that would kill and eat anything they could catch.

i used to have a hermit that ate corals.but i think youll be ok.they might go on the anemone to get the food that its eating

Saw a red hairly legged hermit at my LFS the other day and my guy told me hes a uber predator... He was about 3" across.. Black hairs on his legs... Had to have his tank capped so it would not climb over and get in with the other fishies...

You really shouldn't get an anemone for a new tank anyways. They require pristine water conditions, an established tank that has been up and running for at least 10 months to a year, and really high lighting. Like, at least 8 watts per gallon. Plus, if one gets sick or dies in your tank, it can easily wipe out everything in your tank. They are more trouble than they are worth, in my opinion. It's a good choice for you to hold off on one for now.

i think it should be at least 4 watts but the more the better. I used to have a sebae under my pc and they were 65watts so 2.2 watts per gal. but died over vacation :death:

Back