Hermit crab out of his shell

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
Ok, I know hermit crabs will come out of their shell to molt or change shells or if they have sand in their shell or something...or if they're dying...but this one I just got yesterday is out of his shell..at first, I saw him upside down, so I thought it was either a crab's molted skin, or he was dead. But I saw him twitch. I poked him with my tongs and pushed him upright and he's just there...sitting in front of my tank....on top of his shell. Should I worry/do anything?

smcrab.jpg

Hehehe....Yeah, I just checked on him...still just sitting there. Maybe he's dying. I see his antenna twitching, and he keeps rolling on his back. I just really hope the other ones I got don't follow suit :shock:

i once had a hermit walk around for a few days without a shell and then it died. But i think it died because at the time i didnt have any empty shells for it. it was one of the first ones i ever owned.

It was actually quite funny - he was all paranoid to be in the open for too long so he would just hide in this little cave area. now im thinking it was his way of dying?

Yeah, he died :( I'm just worried if anymore of them will die. I'm all paranoid -- looking around nooks and crannies for any more showing any signs of distress...unfortunately, they're all hiding!!! I can only find 4 out of the 12 I have in there.

Q-Tip!!!!! HAHAHA....

You need to make sure you have a bunch of empty shells of all sizes if you are going to keep hermits. It looks like you have scarlett hermits which tend to be the most agressive (towards snails).

I started with hermit crabs as well, but soon realized they are a big pain.
I have (3) scarletts in the tank now an mainly just keep snails for the algae & shrimp to assist with clean-up.

Sorry to hear that your hermit died, I love all mine!

Something to consider is if you had a larger shell for him to move in to. He looks pretty big and both the shells on the right of the pic look a little small for him. Im not positive, but if he didnt have something else to go into it may have stressed him out and such...

I don't know because I had tons of different sized shells all over the front of the aquarium and some even larger ones in the back. He was one of the ones I just picked up from my lfs on sunday, so it's possible he just didn't handle the transition. Always sad to loose one of your livestock, even if it's just a janitor.

Back