hey a new saltwater reef keeper

Kwater

Chill
wuts up im 15 and new. well i wanted to join this forum so i could learn more about saltwater fish and reefs. im not learning fast enoughf for the way my tank is going. i do take the slow proscess and make shoure my tank is happy and healthy. hope to talk to u soon.

ps lots of fresh water experience

Hi and welcome! Feel free to ask any questions you have. Also, everyone always appreciates it when people post pictures of their tanks :)

Of course! We like pictures of anything.

The easiest way to do it is to open up a free account with Photobucket. Upload your pics to Photobucket, then paste the

Welcome to the reef.
IMO,Theres no such thing as a finished tank.So ask questions,read a lot,and enjoy the hobby.

Welcome! I grew up in Torrance, which isn't too far from you!
I think there's a couple good coral farmers in redondo, so when you're ready to take the coral plunge, do a search and you should find some nice stuff. They usually list on Ebay I think.

Welcome to the site!! Hope that you find how helpfull this place can be. Glad to see your interested in the hobby. In this hobby research is the best key, and by asking questions you can retain a wealth of knowledge, so remember their is no such thing as a "dumb" question.

So what all do you have??
What size tank?
What type of lights?
Do you have a sump?
What type of filteration?

thanx everyone. well i have a 40 gallon reef aquarium with a total of 192 watt floresent compacts, filtration in the back of the tank... but i am also going to place a filter under the tank, i have a clam, two clownfish, a wrassie.. or something like that, a yellow tang and a small blue and yellow fish. my corals include many star polyps, some weird yellow annenmy looking things, a candy coral, and a mushroom. one side of the tank is empty and then it bulds up to a dense coral reef. plus a cleaner shrimp. if something sounds wrong with this than please tell me :bowdown:

I wouldn't say anythings wrong. But I would advise to upgrade your lighting to maybe T5's. The clam's and coral would do much better under T5's than Power compact's.

And Yellow tangs get fairly big, That tank is to small to house one of them and the 2 clown's. Yellow tangs can reach 8 inches. Mine is currently about 6 inches. That don't sound that big, but when you see one in person....You can be surprized.

yes i am going to upgrade my lighting and i know alot of people have been telling me about the yellow tang. i did lots of reshurch and took the time to get a good one. the people there have been telling me it should be good for now. its weird i have seen them in smaller tanks. is that really required or is that ishuring happiness. i really want everything to be happy but i love the tang plus it would be really hard to get him out

The more swimming room for that tang, the better dude. He will outgrow 40gal within a few months IMO. I think you have plans for a bigger tank soon anyways, right?

Back