Hey All...

Ctimpson

Reefing newb
Thought I would take the advice of the site and introduce myself... Currently, I am cycling my new 55 gallon SW tank, but I do have my 60 gallon African Tank also... This new venture into salt has been along time in the making, the fiance finally gave me the go ahead... As I said before, my new 55 gallon is cycling with close to 60 lbs. of LR and 40 lbs of LS... If I can ask you guys an honest question, I bought some really nice CLR from my LFS and bought some other CLR from a guy on craigslist... The rock from the LFS had loads of coralline on it and was really great looking stuff, for 5.00 lb... The other stuff I got looked nothing like the LFS rock. It was more of an orangish color and look to me like honeycomb BR...I am posting some pics and let me know if I got screwed? Anyway, thanks in advance... I look forward to chatting with all of you....

P1000146.jpg

P1000147.jpg

P1000148.jpg

I forgot to add that the current aquascaping is not how we will have it... We just stacked all the rocks in there and want to let the tank run for a month or so... I currently am running a Current dual 96w for the lighting so now hard corals for me... the tank came with a built in overflow with 3 chambers on the back of the tank... Any thought on how to convert this for use with a sump or the best way to utilize this? Also I have a Rio 2500 running the return and have a rio 2500 and 180 for flow in the tank...

you have three different kinds of rocks from different parts of the world in your tank. The one in the middle with the hole in it looks like its cultured.... the ones one the bottom are from Haiti (spelling?) Thats my fav kind of rock..... as for the rocks on top maybe fiji. Just let the tank cycle. Paitents, learn from our expensive mistakes. BTW welcome to the reef.

Welcome to the reef.
Looks to me like the rock on top came out of a tank that neglected,JMO.
You might want to do something about that splashing on the right hand side too.That will cause you all kinds of salt creep.
Looks like you got a great start though.Good luck with it and post any questions you might have.

Hello and welcome! The orange rocks look to be covered in diatoms or some sort of algae. It's possible to get them cleaned up and nice looking, it will take time and good water parameters though.

Welcome to the site and have a good time! I'd recommend checking out the "Helpful Articles" tab up top.

The brownish rocks definitely looks like it came out of a very nutrient rich tank.I would of gave the rocks a good brushing first before introducing it.I can't tell you what rocks you have.I always thought cultured live rock is the same as Caribbean rock.The whiter rock looks cured and the other brownish looks uncured.Thats about all I can decipher.

Joe gave good advice on option you can do with the filtration in another thread.
Good luck and welcome to the site!

I have some rock like that that started as base rock. It is orange and stays that way. I have figi and that orange in my tank and the orange will get some hair were as the figi get nothing but coraline on it. I dont know why. My orange rock dosn't seem to attract coraline that much either.

Looks like you have some massive current coming from your pumps... you better have some strong fishies!

welcome to the site. you will need to adjust the return to get rid of the air bubbles, keep surface agitation but make sure your return is below the water level or you will have salt creep everywhere there is water splash. just let things cycle like you said and get your rocks positioned in their final resting place, then keep hands out of water and let it go a while, when algae start to grow or shows up start adding your clean up crew slowly, and make sure you test often (every 3 to 5 days to track your cycle of the system. good luck and keep us posted.

Back