Hey Everyone... I'm BACK...

Ctimpson

Reefing newb
So after selling my 135 to payroll my recording studio, I have come to the conclusion that I cannot live without a tank... I am now researching Nano's so that it can sit next to my HUGE APPLE COMPUTER that forms the basis for the entire studio... Any suggestions would be helpful... I am looking at anything under 24 gallons and would like to either do a reef tank again OR just a LR with a Harlequin pair.... What do you guys think... I have an old friend that will give me a 12 gallon aquapod if I can do the harlequin pair with the 12 gallon, if so I will take it...Any thoughts...

I took a good look at the nanos and got the Biocube 29 for $250. Some paid 199 for one. The stock hood (76 watts) does not have enough light for advanced corals and clams. You can buy lighting upgrades for $150 to 500 from nanotuners.com. The ballasts on the biocubes have had problems. The red sea max 34G for around $800 has a lot more extras already and if you were to upgrade the Biocube 29 with everything you need for a more advanced setup you'd spend an extra $500 any way so why not get a red sea max? But if $$$ is a an issue get the biocube 29 and slowly add to it as I have. Also, I've heard many say they hate the acrylic nano tanks cause they scratch too much.

I have a 24g iv been trying to sell off. I dont think it would be to much to ship as im in cencal. I even come to thousand oaks every couple months or so.

yeah dude... Let me know... If you could send me some pics that would be great... You can call me anytime @... Thanks... Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris do yourself a favor and edit that phone number out of the post. Asking for telemarketer heaven.

If you dont work a deal with cgoodman check out solana setups. IMO they are the best looking nanos to be had. I think that Underwaterworld has one check out his build thread in the Tank Showcase board.

Last edited:
Welcome back Chris.
There are a lot of great nano systems out there.Its just a matter of how much cash you want to spend.

Chris you should shoot charles a PM about the harlequins he has been doing some great research on them.

Are all the glass nano tanks made of tempered glass. They appear to be a single piece poured/molded glass tank and if so probably tempered. That would kind of prevent drilling any holes for an overflow to utilize a sump for volume. It would be nice to just have to provide a lighting system for a nano tank, and have a nano tank on my desk, but I want water volume for safety. Say a minimum total volume of 50 to 55 gallons would be nice, and a lot easier to maintain and thermally a lot safer. A miniature HQI halide zapped SPS tank. Possible losses would even be small enough to allow a fish, maybe two. Got this 2' x 4' spot in front of my feet under my desk that would be fine for a sump tank with a good skimmer and a heater and some rock and a sump. A nano tank with a basement.

Back