HEY! EVERYONE! im new new to this.... only 2 months into this

fishsticks

No clue about reefs
im 19, born an raised in LA. southcentral to be exact.
i do air conditioning for aliving. and im trying to make this aquarium thing happen.

every1 this is my first time joining an online group i need some help.

i have a 30 gallon tank, i have 35pounds of live rock the tank is a oceanic bio cube it has a filter in the back and has bio-balls the water falls into in the back also it is a curved glass tank with the back being a solid wall. it has 3 lights white light, a blue light, and a moon light. the tank pretty much came complete an its all covered on top it has a little opening in the corner where water is pushed through with a power-head into the tank from the back and i bought a small power-head to push more water on the other side

i mix my own water, i use a 5gallon jug and get my salinity to 1.023 and i add prime and just a little purple up im doing everything as directed on the bottles so im using the right amounts. i use filtered water from our kitchen, i do a water change every week.

i bought a damsel he died 4 days after buying him, could he have been sick.
i also medicated my tank for red slime, i had just a lil coming in the day when i turned my lights on, but all of that stuff in my sand stop showing up the bottle said it wont harm anything in the tank. and today i noticed a dark dark burgundy color on my rock is that red slime?

i have been cycling for 1 1/2 months. with 3 red hermit crabs, 2 blue legged hermits, 3 snails. and they all seem to be doing fine.

i take test
ammonia = 0, nitrites = 0, nitrates = 12.5 mg/l ph = 8.1
the pet-store said im ready for fish. all my water seems good.

i bought 2 clown-fishes they seem to be swimming in one spot and their mouth openin an closing i was wondering is that normal are they gasping for air? what should i do am i over medicating my water or adding too much prime or purple up.

to be honest i spent alot of money and im completely lost so now im turning for help online. please help me.
frown.gif

Welcome to the forum. That's strange about the damsel seeing as how they are very hardy fish. You didn't mention one way or the other but did you de-chlorinate your water? Don't know much yet but it's just a thought. :)

How flattering... Either you are very honest (and very correct) or you've said something offensive somewhere and need a mod's forgiveness ;).

LOOK OUT EVERYONE...HER EGO HAS REACHED MAXIMUM CAPACITY. HER HEAD IS ABOUT TO EXPLODE!!!!! DUCK!!!!!!!:bounce:

-Doc

Back