Hey Everyone!

CanadianAce

Reefing newb
Hello to all you reefers out there on the interweb! So I have been getting my hands wet for a couple of years now. And I recently went down south on vacation for a few months leaving my brother in charge of my aquarium. BAD MOVE! When I got back, the glass was covered in algae and after some serious work I managed to get it cleaned up. Then I tested my water.....

Ammonia - 3ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 80ppm
pH - 7.4
Alk - 7 dkh
Calcium - 480ppm
Phosphates - 0 ppm

So from what I found out after questioning him for hours, was that not a single water change had been done and he had topped it off occasionally. GAHHH.... To make a long story short, things are out of whack.

Basically, my question for you all is should I do a bulk water change to get things back on track? Or should I just continue back on the routine water changes and let everything work its way back slowly?

Thanks Guys and I hope to contribute to the site as best as I can!

Although I might be cursed for 'slightly' overstocking, I would just like to say that all fish are still young and I do plan on upgrading a year to a year and a half from now.

Currently, the residents include; A one spotted fox face, a hippo tang, mocha clown, two damsels (which I would love to get rid of if anyone wants them :P), and two engineering gobies (best of friends and maybe 6" long currently). Plus my coral, a cleaner shrimp, a bristle star and my CUC.

Luckily, when I got home, only a couple sps frags that I purchased before I left seemed to have died on me. Most of my LPS and Softies are doing ok however I am slightly worried about my galaxia. Not as bright or as full as it was when I left. Other than that, everything seems to be doing ok....

So my plan of attack?

Hello and welcome to the site...I'd just stick to the routine weekly water changes until everything level out. Good luck and feel free to post pics of your setup.

Other than the hippo tang needing a larger tank no matter what "age" you think he might be, I dont see any issue with your stocking list. I think you would even have room for a few more.

+1 everyone on the water changes

Back