hey fellaz!!! hav a few questions about cycling. thx

bigjoncoop

Reefing newb
Hey fellas

Well this is my second tank. My first tank was similar. This tank is 30gal with a DIY/wet/dry filter *works great" total its about 45gal. I have a hydro korallia return pump which is rated at 740gph. I dont think she is pushing that much but.. and a hydor korollia 800gph powerhead. I used 40 pounds of live sand and 50 pounds of liverock. Its been cycling for about 20 days. Here's my question.

My water levels are still really high. I dont have ammonia test but my nitrates and nitriates are still off the chart. Ones coming down a lil but...
It seemed my last tank cycled alot faster. But this time I ordered live rock off the I ternet so I'm assuming there was alot more die off.
I've kept my lights off. Is that ok? I didn't want alage to grow. I only have one small spot with diatoms. But they should clear up after cycling.

Last edited:
From what I could see you only had one question and that is about lighting right? It's ok to not have any lights on while you're cycling, as there isn't anything that you bought to put in the tank that needs the light.

hey fellaz

yeah I forgot a few quesstions. It won't let me edit my original post.

during cycling I dont do water changes right?

also I bought Dr foster and smith brand nitrafiying bacteria additive. I've been following the instructions and add a Lil extra caz it says u can't overdose with it. again my tank has been cycling for 20 days or so and my water levels are really high still. should I invest in a good name brand of bacteria additive? or am I ok. I'm want to add a small fish and my cuc but my levels are still really high and I don't want to kill/harm any livestock by adding them to early.

thanks guys

Don't do water change until your Nitrites read zero.

Once you're reading nothing but Nitrates you can go ahead and do a water change. Once THOSE are at a safe level you can add your first fish and your CUC.

+1 Erin

And yes, the reason your cycle is longer/larger is because of the internet rock. Most likely everything was dead on arrival (this is why if you internet order rock your better off with Dry rocks) but all that dead matter has to decay hence the large cycle. Bacteria in a bottle could help shorten it, if it is a reliable brand and there is actually live bacteria in it >_<!

Back