Hey guys I just got crabs lol need help

Marke86

Coral Junkie
Need a little help well I found a perfect picture online but it wont let me upload so I must describe well it has striped legs of green kinda has a army camo shell and a neon green stripe across the head and it only cost me 7 buck s what kind of crab is this?
and 1 snail climed on my gsp is this ok?

thank you for your expertise,
mark

I have a hermit just as you mentioned and he killed one of my snails for its shell!!! I actually saw it happen and should of stopped it from happening but I thought it was interesting seeing him pull the snail completely out of the shell. The hermit innocently walked away with a new shell on him while my fish ate the dying snail.

actually its not a hermit its called sally light foot I think?
do you think this is reef safe

Last edited:
Ugh. I hate sally lightfoots. Once they reach maturity (which doesn't take long), they will start killing your fish. I bought two sally lightfoots when I first set up my 55 gallon tank (thinking they were reef safe, which they AREN'T!!) and they constantly swatted at my fish. I didn't think anything of it, until I freakin WATCHED them take out and eat five emerald crabs, my sixline wrasse and two red firefish. They are extremely aggressive towards other animals.

well that sucks he doesnt seem to be aggresive right now. I guess Ill let him chill in the tank till im done with my algae stage. Hes only 3" long right now.Or should I just get him out of there.

getting him out now would be up to you. it depends on if you are willing to take the risk. most crabs, even those labeled reef safe, are normally not. even the little green emerald crabs tend to turn carnivorous once they reach maturity.

Emerald crabs...bad???? Had one...looked inocent enough....just kinda wonders around on the rocks pickin at algae. Hope it don't turn out to be an ass in the tank because I just ordered 2 more.

Back