Hey Guys!

SavageEwok

Reefing newb
Hello everyone, I've had several successful fresh water tanks in the past, so I have some fish experience, but I am a complete noob when it comes to salt water tanks....which it just so happens I am trying to establish. I have a 75 g tank that is almost ready for fish, and I was hoping for some pointers as to what fish will work well together. Here's what I've been looking at, I'm still looking into compatibility so if something is just wrong please point it out!!

I really like goat fish, coral hawkfish, clown fish, blennies (maybe forktail, bicolor, or midas), the coral beauty angel, among other kinds of angel fish, royal gramma, tangs, certain kinds of wrasses, maybe some damsel fish....I'm not too picky, these are just ideas. I would also have invertebrates like blue-legged hermits and the like, and maybe some serpent star fish. I also want to build a refugium where I can put sea horses, but that's another story....Any tips?
Thanks guys, much appreciated!!

Welcome to the reef.
What exactly are your plans for the tank?Is it going to a FOWLR or a reef?
Goat fish get pretty big and tend to destroy your rock work.They like to use their barbles to roll the rocks over.
Hawkfish are predators that can and will eat small fish and shrimp.
Blennies are great.If you add 2 of them,make sure to add them both at the same time or they'll fight.
Coral Beautys are another great fish,But you can only add one of the angels and you'll have to stay with the dwarf angels.
Research any wrasses that your interested in.Some get hugh,some are reef safe and some aint.
Clowns are another great fish.Hard to go wrong with them.But you can only have 2 of em and they need to be the same kind of clowns.
A 75 is to small for a tang,IMO.Most tangs get big and need a lot of swimming room.
Stay away from the damsels or your figure out pretty quick why their called damNsels.Pound for pound,they got to be the meanest fish in the ocean.
Let your tank mature 3 or 4 months before you add a serpent star.
Ask any questions you come up with,and dont get in a hurry.You cant rush salt water.

Cool, thanks for the info! If I was to go with a fish-only tank, is it possible to put an anemone or two in there, or is that considered a reef tank? Also, are anemones harmful to certain fish? I'm really considering clowns, goatfish, blennies, and maybe angels at this point, not to say there won't be more....Does that sound like too many fish, or do I have plenty of room for more?

If you want an anemone,you'll have to have enough light for a reef.
Anemones require at least 9 watts of light per/gallon and a very stable tank.So wait untill your system is 9 months old or older.Some will say to wait a year.
If you add a goatfish,then your limited to 2 maybe 3 more small fish.Plus you'll eventually have to set up a bigger tank,or trade the goat.
The general rule for SW is 1" of fish per 5gal of tank volume.

welcome to the forum. If you are serious about angelfish, you will need a much bigger tank. angels get HUGE. I love them and have 5. in a 75, you could keep a few pygmy variety, but the nice big ones: holacanthus and pomacanthus varietys require a minimum of 125 gallon tank or larger. Please ask as many questions as you like. Someone here is bound to know the answer

-Doc

I probably going to repeat some of the things Yote said.....

Goatfish-I know nothing about them.

Hawkfish-They are ambush predators so small fish plus crabs and shrimps are not safe around them.Blenny and clowns will definitely be in danger with them.

Blenny-only one in that size tank.They do not tolerate each other,many can fight to the death.

Coral Beauty-good choice,may or may not nip on corals.I don't think a reef is what you were going with anyways.Check out the flame Angels also.Stick with dwarf angels and not the large ones.

Wrasse-Like Yote said some are reef safe and some aren't.Some are to large for 75g and some aren't.There's to many species to list but flashers and fairy wrasses is a good place to start looking.

Tangs-most grow to large or eventually will.Stick with the Ctenochaetus family since they stay the smallest.Yellow Eye Kole and Tomini both belong to that family and stay relatively small for a tang.Any other tang will eventually need a bigger home.

Seahorses-unless your going to build a 30 gallon refugium then I don't recommend seahorses.Low flow and lots of objects for them to attach theor tails to.Most people I know that has kept seahorses regularly turn off the pumps to allow them to eat....slow,slow eaters.

In addition,add peaceful fish like blennies first and the most agrressive last.

Cool guys, that helps A LOT! Maybe I'll stay away from the goatfish and hawkfish, lol, I've been dying for clown fish for a long time now -- and not because I saw them in that movie. I am going for a 30 g refugium, it's in the works now, but we'll see what ends up in it. I'm also really looking forwards to some cool invertebrates, I'm sure you'll be hearing from me again on any of those topics

Hi, I like reefs only, or I like a tank with a big mouthed predator and lots and lots of little fish. I am partial to Lion Fish and Moray Eels. The little fish do not matter as long as they are cheap. Actually, I feed shrimp and such. I am just crude and rude at times.

Back