Hey There

cgirl

Reefing newb
Hi everyone,
Let me just say that I love this site. I can't believe how much help and info. I've gotten so far just reading the posts. So thanks before I get started :Cheers:. Now, for the reason I'm here. I have been wanting a SW reef system for years now but haven't been stable enough until recently. I am now in the process of making that dream come true. A couple of weeks ago I got a heck of a deal on a 150g tank with stand and hood. It's only a year old and came with a couple of MaxiJet 900 powerheads, a sump with pump ( I think it's a wet/dry filter turned into a sump, says Del Rey on the side, about 15g is all), a protein skimmer with air pump (no brand name visible, has what I think is intake at bottom, outflow in middle, and collection cup at top, lid on collection cup says Amiracle but doesn't look like any of the ones on their site, still having trouble figuring out how to set this up, not sure where the air pump hooks into the whole thing), plenum, about 60lbs or better puka shell substrate, and misc. other odds and ends. All for the fabulous price of $400. I have since ordered 2 Koralia 4 powerheads (will this with the MJ's be enough?), a MH lighting system, (2x 250w DE HQI 15K, 4x 54w T5 HO, 6x Dual bluemoon LED), 60lbs. Carib-Sea araga-live sand (would like to get some more sand, would playground sand be okay to mix in?), 120lbs. foundation rock, and tonight will order 60-90lbs. live rock. Also just got an RO/DI filter which we'll be hooking up tonight to get my water started. Starting with Ocean Pure Pro salt (is this salt okay?) and have an API SW Master Test Kit and a Mardel 6 in 1 test strips. In addition to the big tank, have set up a 10g QT with a cheap filter, some pvc for hidey holes, and will probably put one of the MJ's in it when needed. So, what do ya'll think? Think that's an okay setup? I'll be taking pictures of the sump and protein skimmer tonight or tomorrow to get feedback on whether or not I set it up right, still not sure but other than that I feel pretty good. Thanks up front for all the help I'm sure I'll get on this site. :^: Toni

Welcome to the site Toni.
Sounds like you got it under control.
That Ocean Pure salt is supposed to be good stuff.I've not used it,but I've not heard anything bad about it either.
About the only advice I can give you right now,is go ahead and throw those Mardel test strips in the trash.

Hi and welcome! The test strips aren't accurate enough to give you a good reading. If your tank is established, and has been stable for a long time, the strips are useful to test the water with (since you're not expecting anything to be off), but you should always have a liquid drop test kit for back up just in case.

If you have any problems setting stuff up, post pics in your thread. We can help by telling you what does what, and which piece goes where. I know it can be overwhelming to "inherit" a bunch of equipment and have no idea what any of it does or how any of it works!

Welcome to the site.

Okay everyone,
Thanks for the feedback. Will toss the test strips :) and stick to the API test kit for a while. Will hopefully get some pics of the setup posted tonight or tomorrow so I can make sure I'm doing it right before I fill the dang thing with water then have a flood :) Oh, the joys of being a newbie :)

Back