Hey There

SwimsWithFishes

Reefing newb
Hi all,

My name is Brit, i have actually never used a forum before so I am kind of excited! I've had freshwater fish for many years, but have always wanted a marine tank. So now I have a 27G Marine tank with fish and live rock.

I already have hermit crabs, a Kenya tree coral and some mushrooms all are thriving and doing well. I also have a sandsifter gobi and 2 Bangaii cardinals, the Bangaii seem to be ok. I lost the smallest of the three, which was sad. I only have 2 now and one seems to be slightly aggressive toward the other, he/she keeps hiding by my heater. Anywho, thats the scoop as of now. This is a wonderful hobby I enjoy looking at my tank everyday :Cheers:

Hi Swims, I mean Brit! :mrgreen: Welcome to the forum (I'm pretty new here too)

Sorry to hear about your little Bangai, looking forward to photos!

natascha

Hello and welcome! Don't shoot the messenger but you may regret the Kenya tree corals. They multiply very quickly and can reach nuisance proportions covering all the rock and over taking other corals.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I am going to try to get some pics up here of my setup. Does anyone have any insight on Bangaii's being in pairs? I have one now that is always hiding between my powerhead and heater and the other is on the complete opposite corner of my tank. I have only had them since last saturday, so it hasn't even been a week. I am going to my LFS today to see if I can get credit toward the one that passed, I have been looking at Firefish. All my research has said they are fine with Bangaii's.

Bangaiis are fine with firefish, and bangaiis arent a schooling fish and normally just pick a corner to chill and hang out in. They are a night fish and dont do much in the day.

However you really should slow down. You should be only adding one fish every 3 weeks that way the bacteria load can catch up to handle the new waste level. The other thing you need to consider is that you can only have one fish for every 10 gallons. You can over stock a tank but i would wait until the tank is well established, otherwise you risk major water quality issues and potential death of fish and corals. The other thing you need to be care of is some fish need a large space and are very aggressive, if you have fish like that you cant overstock a tank. You havent chosen any fish like that, but its something to keep in mind.

Bangaiis are fine with firefish, and bangaiis arent a schooling fish and normally just pick a corner to chill and hang out in. They are a night fish and dont do much in the day.

However you really should slow down. You should be only adding one fish every 3 weeks that way the bacteria load can catch up to handle the new waste level. The other thing you need to consider is that you can only have one fish for every 10 gallons. You can over stock a tank but i would wait until the tank is well established, otherwise you risk major water quality issues and potential death of fish and corals. The other thing you need to be care of is some fish need a large space and are very aggressive, if you have fish like that you cant overstock a tank. You havent chosen any fish like that, but its something to keep in mind.

Hoepfully I did this right. Thanks for the help! I am not looking at getting the firefish quite yet, guess I should have clarified. I want to keep an eye on my 2 Bangaii's and make sure they are working out before getting more fish.

Back