P1000177.jpg

Zoanthids again:
P1000189.jpg

Sally Lightfoot:
P1000193.jpg

Long Spine Urchin:
P1000191.jpg

Enjoy:Cheers:

yote, These shots show great composition. So often, people put the subject matter right in the middle, you've placed yours in different places. It keeps your shots interesting to look at! You've still got a bit of blur and you have a serious noise problem. Send me the files and I'll clean them up for you if you want. Also, check your light setting- your shots have the blues. Overall I think your doing great, composition is the hardest thing to teach, your focusing is getting better and your exposures are very drammatic. Keep shooting!

Catherine

Hey Yote, I hope you don't mind but I love that urchin pic and wanted to play with it so I downloaded it and made a few overall color adjustments and uploaded it to the gallery. Best I could do not knowing what it really looks like in real life and without going in and selectively adjusting individual areas. :)
Keep'em coming!

P1000191-2.jpg

They looked better before I posted them.:grumble:
I think I'm posting them in to big a format or something,because they were actually clear.
I'm going to try making them smaller when I get home from work and re-post them.

Yote, downsize your pics to 72dpi at about 10-12" wide.
Then make sure you convert color profile to sRGB... not RGB. This will keep your colors more consistent with what you see before uploading. Then save it by either exporting for web as a jpg with a compression around 60, or just save-as jpg with a quality of 10 but make sure it embeds that sRGB color profile. Photoshop has a check box in the save-as dialog box for that. The export for web will give you a smaller file size and the colors should be pretty accurate. If color is super crucial, the save-as will hold more color info but give you a bigger file size. 99% of the time the save for web will suffice.

Dont mind at all Dennis.
I can see that I'm gonna have to practice with lightroom and photoshop too.
This photography bussiness is getting to be as much work as reef tanks and hunting.

yote, do you have photoshop? If you don't it's a huge commitment to get the program (costs a bunch) and once you've got it you need to learn it which takes an enormous amount of time. Lightroom is expensive too but the learning curve is much faster. I would be happy to help you learn either of these programs. I have taught online classes before. These two programs are totally awesome. I use both of them daily and I can strongly suggest that if you are very interested in this hobby you might want to look at your local adult school, community enrichment courses, or community college to take a course in these programs before you put a second mortgage on your house to buy the programs. If you have a student in your family there are lots of places you can order educational versions of these programs for a fraction of the cost. Again, if you are looking at photoshop add the cost of instructions to your final bill. Another program to look at might be Adobe Photoshop Elements. It's less than 200.00 and is much more user friendly. All I can really say is, welcome to another very expensive, very rewarding hobby!

Catherine

Yeah Dustin.I about had a heart attack when I looked at photoshop last night.

Catherine,Depending on how slammed we are at work this spring.I just might enroll in some photography classes.Only had the camera a week and I already love taking pictures,and plan on trying to do some wildlife photography after I learn more about it.

Lightroom should suffice for most of what you'd want to do at this point, IMO.
Photoshop is a bear of a program. It's unlike any other software you've probably ever seen. I've been using it every day for around 14 years and I still don't know half of it.
Personally, I couldn't be without photoshop and I use both for different purposes but that's what I'm used to. On the photography forums, most non professionals will argue that lightroom is all you need. It's a personal preference thing. And like catherine mentioned, Photoshop Elements is another option, but it's just a small fraction of the program that Photoshop is.

BTW, speaking of forums... my two favorite are www.texasphotoforum.com and www.photocamel.com. Two very friendly and unbelievably helpful forums from anyone and everyone whether you are just starting out or have owned your own photography business for the last 30 years.

Thanks for those links Dennis.I need all the help I can get:D

Dustin,If I have to go visit Bubba.I'm coming to see you afterwards:mrgreen:

Yote,
Turn the pixels UP. You want MAXIMUM pixels and resolution. More dots per inch equates to finer detail. You want maximum detail in the pics. Detail comes from lots and lots of pixels. They will be HUGE files, but thats okay for now.

When you have the pics all put into your hard drive on the 'puter, just resize them. When you shrink the pictures they will loose pixels and overall file sizes will be reduced, but there will be very little degradation in the quality of the pic.

Same thing if you're using a regular old 35mm film camera. If you want to take poster quality pictures that you plan to blow up real big --- like 24 x 36 posters for hanging on the wall. You want maximum detail so when you blow it up it's not grainy or fuzzy. So in that situation, you'd use 1600 speed film.

For instance:
400 speed will stop a greyhound at full speed as he crosses the finish line. 400 speed will stop him dead in his tracks but everything behind him will be a blur (if you set up the ISO, F Stops and shutter speed correctly). 1600 speed pics of your wife in her sexiest bikini will blow up to a nice 48" x 60" pic for the wall in the shop. :mrgreen:

Same thing with a digital camera. Use the high pixel settings to get all the details and fine quality of a larger pic. Then when you shrink them they will not get blurry or fuzzy.

You don't have to download anything to resize a picture. Put your mouse on the pic and right click on it. There will be a little window that pops up. Scroll to RESIZE and click there. Then you select the size you want. It's easy.

I take pics in groups. Nobody takes just one pic of the tank. So, take your pics and upload them to your hard drive. Make a folder for them and name it. Now open the folder and left click the first pic ONCE. That way it's just highlighted. Now hold the SHIFT button down and use the ARROW keys to scroll all the way across. All the pics will be highlighted. Now right click the first pic and resize it. All of them will get resized. All at the same time.

Last edited:
yote, that exercise I gave you will teach you pretty well how to use your camera. I would take the classes in learning the programs, photoshop especially. If I were in your position right now I would download Adobe Lightroom and get a book on how to use it. The program is very intuitive and you should be able to work things out on your own. If you do have access to photoshop, spend your time on the Images portion. Fiddle around with the settings listed there. When I'm working a photo on photoshop I spend most of my time there and on the dodging and burning tool. There is so much more you can do with photoshop so you need a class to learn that program effectively. You might want to try the free download of Adobe Elements to see if that will give you what you want. It is a good program for an advanced beginner level photorapher.

man it really sounds like you have your work cut out for you! i hope its fun for you and youre enjoying using it. i think its awesome that youre so interested in learning more!

Back