Hey y'all,looky here:

man it really sounds like you have your work cut out for you! i hope its fun for you and youre enjoying using it. i think its awesome that youre so interested in learning more!

Its a challange Flo.But thats what keeps me interested.Plus It drives me crazy to do things better.I'm one of those "I aint quiting till its right" kinda fellers.
Kinda driving the wife insane with it,cause I cut all the lights off except for the tank lights,take pics,load them to the computer,delete them,take more,and repete.

Rc.
I thought you didnt have to turn the pixels up or down?I thought it was always set on 10.2?

Rc.
I thought you didnt have to turn the pixels up or down?I thought it was always set on 10.2?

It sort of is, Yote. Your sensor has 10.2 million light sensitive pixels crammed into that tiny sensor. All the time. The reality is this... 1) that's too many. It creates more noise. But consumers think they want it so the camera companies try to give them what they want. 2) you don't need that much. I was shooting 6mp for commercial use in print ads! But nothing you can do about it so don't worry about it.

What you can do though, is shoot at the highest "resolution". I'm assuming your camera has a "Quality" setting. You want to set this at the highest possible. If you are shooting JPG, the choices are probably something like "high, fine, low" or something like that. Choose the highest, largest file size. Read the manual to confirm what's what. Or if you want to jump into the big leagues and your camera supports it, shoot RAW. RAW files hold the most amount of information AND they do not apply all those silly color setting and filters and other crap from the software inside your camera. Think of it like a film negative. A film camera shoots the picture and you drop the negative off at the processing place. Then the developer applies color correction, exposure correction, etc and you pick up your prints. Then you come home, scan them and start making adjustments. This is shooting jpg.
RAW is like taking a pic and walking into the darkroom yourself to develop them. You are in control of all adjustments from the start. And on top of that, the file has way more info in it which translates to better detail and less image degradation. And when you make your adjustments to the raw file, it makes much cleaner adjustments without all the weird side effects you get when adjusting jpgs. RAW vs JPG is one of those huge knock down drag out arguments in the photo world and there are definitely advantages to jpg like speed when dealing with huge amounts of images. One reason wedding photographers and event photographers might prefer jpg. But RAW will always give you the highest quality image especially when doing a lot of post processing. And if gives you a much wider margin for error. At the cost of much larger files sizes.

So in short, read your manual and make sure you are shooting at the highest resolution jpg... or try venturing into RAW files to see if there is a noticeable difference for you.

seriously that was a lot of info just to take a good picture. geeze. who knew it could be so complicated, probably why most of my pics suck. im just excited to see more of what yote has to offer!

well said, dennis! Yote, your brain ready to explode yet?

Catherine

Well lets see.Was up untill 2 this morning going through photography sites on the web(had to be at work at 4 this morning),read through some more at lunch,came home and went through a couple more before landing here on the reef.So my question is,What brain?:D It exploded a long time ago.:mrgreen:

I cant thank y'all enough for all the great advice and help.And I've found that I love snapping pictures.Just got to practice with the camera and getting the pics to be good and clear when I post them.But I'll keep at it untill I can get it done in my sleep.

Back