Hey, Y'all!

Big K

Reefing newb
Hey,

My wife and I are embarking into this hobby as a way to spend quality time together. We both love animals (4 dogs, 1 cat) and have had two other freshwater tanks.

We have been researching at our local store in Nashville (Aquatic Critter) and have gotten lots of advice on our many scouting trips there. We have found a setup locally that someone wants to sell so we are getting that as a start. It's a 55 ga. Tank with a fair bit of rock and some fish and corals. It also comes with a 6-bulb t5 light.

Anybody have any tips on transporting this to minimize any casualties?

Hello and Welcome!

Please be cautious of the advice given to you at any LFS. They are a business and just because someone works there doesnt mean they actually have a clue about what they are doing. Very often we see people that have been told to buy a piece of equipment that has very little use in saltwater or they have been told its ok to buy a fish that has no business being in their tank.

Cool, thanks!

LF, this store is pretty good and everybody is really helpful but I will definitely double-check everything on here.

Welcome to the site!

+1 james and fish....but definitely go into an LFS with at least basic knowledge of a fish, coral, or equipment. My lfs' near me are awesome and insightful. But doesn't mean they won't try to sell me a piece of equipment that I don't necessarily need ;)

Thanks, Everyone!

We got our set-up yesterday! Got it all put together after making the twenty mile trip at 20 m/hr. We even got pulled over despite it being five lanes and my flashers going. Some cops get bored I guess.

Anyway, we got everything transported and back in the tank. Everybody seems to be settling in nicely with zero casualties I'm happy to say. :-)

I'll post a list of what we have later today. I intend to draw as much knowledge from y'all as I can.

Thanks again!

OK I've got pics!

First, my setup (running off a cord ATM until I get the dedicated plug wired under the house).

Aquarium031.jpg

A Yellow Tang, Black Clown, Clownfish, & Blue Cromies:

Aquarium039.jpg

Emerald Crab getting settled in (any help on the coral there?):

Aquarium040.jpg

This big piece of coral (any ID?)
Aquarium042.jpg

Should that be bedded in the sand?

Barely got a shot of my elusive Mandarin Goby:

Aquarium044.jpg

While I was taking shots the Starfish decided to come up and get some camera time as well:

Aquarium045.jpg

I also have a Turbo Snail (funniest name EVA!) and an Engineer goby that are working behind the scenes out of camera view.

A few more coral shots. Any help on IDing these would be greatly appreciated!

Aquarium036.jpg

Aquarium035.jpg

Aquarium034.jpg

Plus I found a big Bristleworm and a Sponge tagging along with the rocks. I don't know if the Sponge is still alive though, he looks awfully gray.

Last edited:
Back