Hi All

kbanks

barrier
My apologies for wanting to lean on all of your experience so soon but I am currently fighting a very frustrating situation when I do a partial water change in my tank.

I stopped using the faucet water after several years, and started buying the RO water from the pet store.

Since that time I have lost 4 fish over the course of the last 6 months, a Coral Beauty, 2 Rusty Angels and today a Blue Yellow tailed Tang.

I have a basic tester but I do not use it as much as I probably should, however I do use the Amquel to rid the water of Ammonia's etc.

I am very open to suggestions, and needless to say this really sucks when this happens.

Would very much appreciate any input I can get.

First off,welcome to the site.
2nd.We'll need to know the actual parameters from your tests.
Its hard to say whats causing your problem without knowing whats in your water.

welcome to the site, like yote said, getting actually numbers is a good start, if you cant get a good test of it your LFS should test it for you

Much appreciated, the tester I have tests the Nitrates, Nitrites, PH and Ammonia, is there something else I need to be testing for.

Thanks,
Keith

Hello again,

Temp = 83
PH = 8
Nitrates = maybe .5
Nitites = 0
Ammonia = 0

Don't know what a hydrometer or refractometer is?

We may have just found your problem.
I'd suggest taking a sample of water to your LFS and have them check the salinity.
How have you been getting the salt content right for water changes with checking it?

Using a Coralife Hydrometer, is that what you guys are talking about when you say Selenity (duh) my bad, I know it as Boyancy, the reading is 1.022

if the hydrometer is reading correct then the salinity isnt the problem, but to be sure i suggest getting it checked against a refractometer at your LFS

I have 3 fish left, a clown fish, 1 mandarine goby and a green spotted goby, I had two snails but one died yesterday, 2 fire shrimp and 1 coral banded shrimp.

I am also seeing a red slime building back up, this was all over the back wall before I cleaned here last Sunday, but it's coming back. What is wierd is that it does not look like algae?

I have been using a Cascade filter since I stepped up to a 75 (last year)and follow the filtering instructions, this last change I left the carbon and zeolite, but replaced the Bio Floss, there are no instructions to rinse these before installing them so I haven't.

Also, the tank is in my living room and I am extremely careful not to spray any smell goods around the tank that may harm it.

By the way, I feed them daily around 4 (shrimp flakes), on Sunday and Wednesday I feed them Brine shrimp and put 4 caps of Phytoplanken in.

I do my water changes monthly but this last time I went 5 weeks before changing it.

Back