Hi All

Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it
I'm here to Learn so I do thank ufor the help
I'm going to do a partial water change and test the levels
I plan on installing the mh fixture and ballast soon so hopefully that will help the corals too

I'm just wondering if the 400w will be good or too much for the corals

For a 55 gallon tank that is as tall as yours appears to be, I think it will be fine. You may have to raise it up a bit if the water gets too hot. You can also clip a fan or two onto the side of the tank and have them blowing across the water.

Cool yeah I have some steel leg mounts that should raise the light ten inches or so above water level I also got the plastic light grid diffuser to spread the light

it's cool you mentioned the fan that is what I have the clip on kind I was just wondering where the most effective place to aim it would be

Also any suggestions where to put the ballast? The stand has limited space and there is a bookcase near it, would a end table or stand be preferred?

Depends on the weight. I'd get it up off the ground, but it may be too heavy for an end table.

Aim the fan to blow across the surface of the water. That will help cool it.

Welcome aboard.That large coral you refer to is a Toadstool leather coral.
And yeah,a good sturdy end table will hold that 400 watt ballast.I'll also suggest to lay a couple of thin concrete cap blocks on the table for the ballast to sit on as a heat sink.

Also for a heat sink would two bricks work? Or did u mean a cinder block or just a thin slab of concrete sitting under the ballast correct?

Also for a heat sink would two bricks work? Or did u mean a cinder block or just a thin slab of concrete sitting under the ballast correct?

I dont know that I would trust 2 bricks.But a thin slab would work great.Just anything to help get heat away from the ballast.You could also set up a small fan to help get fresh air over em when their on.

Back