(Hi) any advise on new setup

cmay

Reefing newb
I'm a total beginner in marine fish so please except my apologies for my lack of terminology.

I've fallen for the beauty of marine life, the colours, coral, fish and the fact I can set up and watch my own eco system in my home.

My objective is to set up my 4 ft (50gal) tank with live rock/coral reef, fish and various other live stock which will support and live with each other.

I'm planning to set my rock on a raised egg island (using spray bar going down and under the rock to improve water flow and filtration through the rock) and position water flow jets in various other places (close system)

As from reading water flow is very important ?

I believe a two grades live DSB will be the best solution for my biological filter and animals to borrow ?

After the water has reached the correct PH levels and temp im going to add the live DSB and rock (or should I add the DSB at the same time ???) leave for a good 2 months before introducing coral and then another month before fish, im under the impression the slower the better in order for the eco system to adapt and produce optimum cycling, also to watch my live rock come alive

However I'm finding the sump area slightly confusing with so many designs, I'v purchased a 2nd hand Deltec APF600 however im not sure if I will need a better filter system as I believe my DSB may not suffice depending on stoking levels.

Im not 100% sure the best way to use my sump apart from making my tank look tidy and increasing water volume which is good for water quality. (I would like to stick with Berlin method, using the sump partly for refug)

Whats the best order for the water to pass through the sump.

I'm confused !!!!

I would be most grateful for any advice or links to extra readings, I really want to get as much knowledge as possible before I start.

Thanks for all your help in advance

chris

Well, your on the right track, get your homework done first. read and research as much as possible. www.melevsreef.com is a great link to better understanding sumps. A sump is a very good idea for your tank like you said it incrases water volume and a refuge for pods.
The name of the game starting out is take it nice and slow!!!! Practice patience in this game and it will make your life soooo much easier. your conditioning period is a great time to further research this hobby. There is soooo much to learn about this hobby and your never done learning.
As for your rock and live sand I would add the sand and then add the rock. and let that sit and get your nitrogen cycle working and get your biologicals established in the bed and rocks and then start to look at stocking a tank. I would recommend that you let the tank cycle for at least a month and a half before adding any life into the tank (some people may disagree) but I am of the nature to take it nice and easy. dont rush your cycle.

what kind of tank are you looking to have?? A reef tank, a fish only tank?? that will determine some of the equipment you will want to run. a reef tank is a lot more selective on the equipment you run.

but take it nice and slow and learn as much as you can.

Good luck

Greg

best advice I can give you presently is to go to our sites Helpful articles forum and on page one you will find multible articles that will answer a lot of your questions. also while you are there browse down the list and various pages and read the articles that appeal to you and when done if you still have questions back to your thread here and post your questions. I best advice at this time is that you should not just do something because it works, but you should do something because you understand why it works. if you can get to that point one step at a time you will have long term success. good luck and welcome to the forum.

Hi all, thanks for your quick replies and making me feel welcomed to the forum.

I'm overwhelmed by the amount of technology behind salt water and the various setups.

If possible I want to work slowly establishing a happy balance of anemones, coral, fish, shrimp and crabs, introducing each stock over a long period of time taking in to consideration compatibility.

This is why I want to make sure I set my tank up correctly from start i.e. correct DSB, water motion ect and gain as much knowledge as possible hopefully avoiding disturbing my environment.

I have a 50 gal bow front and I've Just recreantly purchased a 2nd hand Deltec APF600 protein skimmer.

After reading www.melevsreef.com (great link, thanks) going to skim directly from the overflow, however im going to make a T section in the down pipe to allow a small amount of flow to enter my refugium witch will contain a little rock, algae and sand.

I have drawn a rough diagram of the sump I plan to design (maybe I could post the image to the forum nearer to the day for opinions)

As I'm starting from scratch I have been advised I can use tap water, however due to reading and mainly due to anemones (will not stock until I totally understand all) and coral's I feel I should give my guys the best start and use RO water ?

How long can you keep RO water in a container for.

So much to learn.....

Thanks again for making me feel welcome.

Just reading over this thread I only have a couple things to add.

1) I noticed you said you were going to add corals before fish? Depending on what corals you add this might be possible, but I would personally recommend going fish first as they will cause more of a secondary cycle and corals can be very sensitive.

2) I would place my rocks in first then put the sand in second. This is just to make sure the rock work is good and stabel on the bottom. Some fish, stars, etc like to dig in the sand and you don't want your rock work to collapse at a later date.

3) After the cycle from the LR and LS do you plan on using anything to help promote the cycle before adding your live stock? Some People use a dead piece of shrimp or a pair of hardy fish etc....

Good luck. Post a diagram of the sump and I will throw in my thoughts..

www.tuckervolner.com/fishtank.htm was a pic of my 55 just before the upgrade....

Oh yea I don't know an exact answer on the RO, but Mine sits in my top off system for atleast a week with no problems.

Brandon

First things I would suggest is have a quarantine tank. I just lost my 3 fish to marine velvet. I wont be starting again without one. Your skimmer on a 50 gallon? Can handle any bioload you throw at it lol. Its one of the best. Take things slow, read johns articles. Try your hand at fish first for a few months and slowly go from there.

Thanks for the great advice, I will start with fish first and introduce corals at a later confident date.

Do you think my skimmer is over kill :frustrat: I read quite a bit on skimmers and I came to the impression the deltec would be money well spent if I stock heavily or upgrade my tank ?? Do you think I may over skim, I was going to include a valve so I could adjust the amount of water flow ???

chris

I don't believe in overskimming... in my opinion its a myth.....

I'm sure this will get some response, but for those on the forum that have seen my tank can verify it isn't hurting anything....

I'm running a MR-2R recirulating with dual injectors powered by a blue line 55 external pump on a 95 gallon tank and its rated for 500.

I'm sure if your keeping all softies heavy skimming might slow down growth, but i have zoos, brains, and plenty of LPS and I don't see any negative reactions to heavy skimming.

If you read up on the newer zeovit method you will see they recommend running carbon 24/7 and buy the biggest skimmer you can get...

I wouldn't worry about overskimming for a second, but thats just my :twocents:

no i was just stating your skimmer is the bomb. ive heard nothing but above the best in response to those.

have a qt tank ready to go though, as i learned the hard way. and qt eveything.

Sorry I have not replied sooner, work interferes with my life to much :grumble:

I have a feeling im going to learn the hard way, when I think I have made a decision on what I intend to do I read an article which stops me in my track.

I'm now struggling over my DSB, im going to post a new thread and ask everyone for a description of their DSB, hopefully I will get some replies.

Back