Hi Everybody from Washington State

jrork

Reefing newb
Hi folks. Well, we did it. We've had fresh water tanks on and off for years but not recently. I've been thinking about getting one again so the granddaughter could look at it and figured that since we're gonna do it we might as well do what I've always wanted to do and that is to go SALT! :^:

We picked up a little Oceanic 14 and have just got water and sand in it. We're going back today to pick up the rock we bought and then we'll let this set for a week or so before we add some things to it.

Can't wait and I'm sure I'll be pestering all of you folks here on the board with questions.

Take care.........John

Hello and welcome! Feel free to ask any questions you might have... Be sure to pick up the basic necessary test kits (pH, alkalinity, calcium, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and a refractometer or hydrometer) so that you can keep track of your cycle -- it may take more than a week. Be sure to keep us updated and post pics if you can.

Hi and welcome
Just remember that you have to go a whole lot slower with salt than you do fresh.And like Sarah said anytime you got a question we'll do our best to answer it.

Thanks for the great welcome everybody. Definately going to go slow. The site where we are dealing with said to get the water, sand and rock in place for a week at least before adding any fish. They recommended to bring in water at least twice also before taking the next step.
We did pick up our rock and plunked it in there only to be surpised that after a couple of hours we have this going on. Dont know what they are but they sure are pretty.

IMG_6794.jpg

IMG_6792.jpg

Thanks again and take care.......John

You've got yourself a couple nice mushrooms there. Easy beginner coral. You don't need to do anything special for them, if they are happy they will spread like crazy. Congrats on your first tank animals!

Hello John welcome to the reefs allow me to congratulate on your first corals, also this point you want to be careful everyone starts out small and the next thing you know you cant get big enough. If you have any questions or concerns dont hesitate to ask :D

Back