Hi everyone New to living reefs

ANGEL R

Reefing newb
Well I guess I can start by saying that I am new to saltwater aquariums I have always had freshwater aquariums from 10 gallons up to 55 gallons. I have been doing my homework on saltwater aquariums and understand that there is a lot of work involved. Believe I know my step dad back in puerto rico ( when we lived ) had a 100 gallon saltwater aquarium and I would help him maintain it. But I have never had my own. Which is why I am here I would like to put together a 29 gallon aquarium. And about six fish.
1) Blue Hippo Tang
2) Yellow Tang
3) Chocolate Chip Starfish
4) Spanish Hogfish
5) Green Clown Goby
6) True Percula Clownfish
I would like to know first of all is this a good selection of fish, is it to many for the size of the tank ( they all about a 1 to 2 inches long.), will I need a chilling system with any other equipment. Anything you guys or girls on here are willing to teach me I am very much willing to listen and learn.

Thanks
Angel R. :sfish:

Hello and welcome to the site...You've come to the right place.
First of all, I'm gonna have to tell you that a 29gal is only capable of housing a few fish, six may be too many, and also, you will not be able to keep the tangs, or hogfish in a tank that small...sorry
There are other beautiful small fish you will be able to keep, but you have to do lots of research in this hobby, but it's all fun.
As far as a chiller, you should not need one, most tanks are between 76 to 82 degrees.
Good luck, have fun, ask questions, and post pics:D

Smitty is right... In a 29 gallon tank, you are limited to 2 or 3 small fish. Any tangs are out of the question. They need at least 75 to 100 gallons or they won't survive.

The chocolate chip starfish is not reef safe, so is okay as long as you don't plan on keeping any corals. It will eat corals.

The goby and clownfish would be just fine, but anything more than that and you will need a larger tank. Why not just start with a larger tank in the first place?

It is highly unlikely that you will need a chiller.

Welcome to the reef.
Smitty's right.The only 2 fish on your list that you could keep long term in a 29 is the clown goby and the clown fish.The Chocolate Chip Star will be alright,unless you decide to go with a reef tank.

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. Bifferwine suggest to do a 75 to 100 gallon which I will do because I really like the tangs. Now with going that big will I need a chilling system. or any other kind of special equipment. When I do this I want to make sure I am doing everything right.

That sounds great. Go as large as you can that way you can have a couple of Tangs. They are everyone's favorite. You shouldn't need a chiller, most do not. It depends on several factors, i.e. room temperature, lighting, etc.

You still will not need a chiller, unless you have mh lights over a reef...it is always better and easier with a larger tank. The only equipment you need for a succesful tank is 1-2lbs of rock per gallon, and good protein skimmer...lights are important if you decide to do a reef tank.

Back