hi everyone

dannyboy

PLUHH
i just picked up a 75 gallon tank and would like to start a nice salt water world. I have a very healthy 75 gallon african cichlid tank but wanna try something different. I been reading tons of info but still would like to ask many questions seeing many sites say different things. Hope I don't ask too many questions and drive you all crazy.

First question: I have an emperor 400 dual bio-wheel filter, will this be any good or should I just return it. My thought was using that with a smaller rated canister filter but wondering if should just go the route of a higher rated filter. I plan to cycle this tank for about 6 weeks so I'm still not sure what is even going in it yet.

I also read a few complaints about the (instant ocean) brand salt which is what I bought, should I drain it and start over with something better?

There, I'll only start with a few simple questions till I get on my own 2 feet. Thanks for any help.

I like whisper filters rather than the biowheels, but that is just me. I have 2 on my 90 gallon. Make sure you use carbon or some other chemical filtration in media bags as opposed to the filter bags they try to rob you with. it lasts longer and is better IMHO.

I.O. salt is a fine salt for FOLWR tanks. if you are going to have corals long term, I would use a better salt: Kent, Reef Crystals, Oceanic, etc

Ask as many questions as you like, we are all here to learn. Welcome

-Doc

Welcome to the reef.
Emperors and canisters,just like any thing else require maintance.The more TLC they get,the less trouble they cause.They both have to be cleaned on a regular basis to keep from causing high nitrates.
My main problem with a HOB filter if the salt creep it causes..
As for the IO salt.Just use up what you've already got.It wont hurt anything to change brands later on.

If money is an issue than return both the canister and emperor an get a good skimmer.You can have a successful reef with a skimmer(which IMO is more important then those two filters) and a couple powerheads for flow.Another option is to keep the canister to occassionally polish the water,skimmer and powerheads.

Instant Ocean is fine for now.You may want to change to a higher salt mix when corals interest you.Welcome to the site,feel free to ask anymore questions.

I agree with what has already been said. A good skimmer is all you'll need for filtration if you also have live rock. There's no need for a canister or HOB filter if you have a skimmer.

Use up the salt that you have and you can always switch to a better brand down the road. I recommend Kent Marine, Seachem and Oceanic salts. Those are the ones that I use. I rotate them, depending on what's on sale at the time.

welcome to the site. be sure and check the ph of that instant ocean. it's normally pretty low (around 7.8) like others have said, it's good for fish only. but if you decide to go reef you will have to dose calcium and such before it ever goes in the tank.

Back