Hi Everyone

kathy2506

Reefing newb
Hello everyone, my name is Kathy2506 I have two kids who just love their saltwater fish but we are having some difficulties with a dead angel and now a sick clwonie, my 8yr old daughter is extremely upset by this an we would really appreciate any hellp you may be able to offer. Thanks Kathy:D

Hi Kathy, and welcome to the site!
Can you please give us some more information about your setup so we can help. How long has your tank been setup, do you test your water parameters? What are the results? How many/what kinds of fish do you have? How often/what do you feed?

Hi Brian, I have had the tank for about 3-4 months. 30 litres. I have twon clowns 1 star fish an angel and the other angel died on thursday. I checkec the carbonate hardness all is well but I do have some red algae. The pet shop sold me some phosphate resin to clear it but it seems like it is just killing of my babies and not the algae. I am desperate she does seem to have something hanging from her behind so I am hopeing she is just a bit constipated ???? she is the bigger of the two the other is only a baby. I don't know what to do my daughter is beside herself. :) Oh soory I just feed them the tropical fish flakes..

Hi Kathy welcome to the site.....you may want to post these questions in "new to reefing"...you have some issues that can and should be resolved with your tank..
Its really too small for an angel and flake food is no good for our fish or water

Last edited:
Nice catch Chito, if it is 30 Liters then it's way too small for all the fish you have and they're probably getting sick and dying due to stress

Hi OhNoNemo, I have now put it up in forum chat thingy, pretty new to this stuff so not really sure what I am doing. Any suggestions on what to feed Nemo please ??? also any ideas on what is wrong with my baby ?? could it be constipated because of the flakes ??? appreciate your help. Kathy

Hi Brian & Chito, Yep in Australia we work in Litres not Gallons ( think it would be easier if we all did the same ) but anyway yep it is not real big and the box said 30 litres. Blinkin pet shop said ity would be OK with two nemo's the small angel and the other little one that died also the star. Apparently they were wrong I suppose they may be just trying to get me to spend my money there. What would be the capacity of fish you would recommend ??? Thanks Kathy

first off' your are to early for clown's. this hobby take's time,
and if you are getting fish just to have fish for the kiddy's then I would recomend damsel's (good starter) fish.. #2 your fish store will sell you anything (they all do) bad combo or not they see $$$$ when you walk in.. no pun intended.. that's the bad new's .. the good new's #1 best site to get your answer's..#2 start with a little liverock and live sand and let that "cycle" ... as soon as you say "cycle" they are gonna treat you differntly... please ask us first and don't just buy fish to let them die......

Hi Brian & Chito, Yep in Australia we work in Litres not Gallons ( think it would be easier if we all did the same ) but anyway yep it is not real big and the box said 30 litres. Blinkin pet shop said ity would be OK with two nemo's the small angel and the other little one that died also the star. Apparently they were wrong I suppose they may be just trying to get me to spend my money there. What would be the capacity of fish you would recommend ??? Thanks Kathy

Unfortunately, with a tank that small you're really limited to one small fish.
first off' your are to early for clown's. this hobby take's time,
and if you are getting fish just to have fish for the kiddy's then I would recomend damsel's (good starter) fish..
Clowns are damsels ... And are fine beginner fish

Hello and welcome to the site...sorry to hear about your fish. That stringy stuff hanging from the fishes backside is an indication that they have an internal parasite. That tank is too small for all the fish you have, and have not been set up long enough, but there's good news...you've found your way here, and we'll try to get you squared away. :)

yup they got you pretty much covered... Saltwater is no where near like taking care of a gold fish =P Most fish like your angels need a decent amount of swimming room, your tank is too small for them, the death could have been caused by bad water parameters(If you didn't cycle your tank first) or stress from the environment, or combination. Think of the ocean(Reef), saltwater creatures require a higher standard then most fresh water creatures.

Good news is all of the information you need is located in these forums all you have to do is seek it out! :)

Welcome to the community!

In Canada we work in litres too... Kinda'.

Dang Yankees keep us from fully embracing the beauty of the metric system! ;)

Thanks for the tips everyone. Have just had all of the tests done on the water and all is great with that. Nitrates, phosphates, carbonate hardness, all is well. Could it possible just be a case of over feeding ???? I can be very heavy handed with the food as I feel guilty giving them such a tiny bit as advised ???? Or possible that it maybe changing sex, I read on here that that can cause the erratic behaviour. , Oh I do have the live rock and the coral and it was all circulated for three weeks before any fish were put in. They were all doing well until I put the phosphate resin in the filter to get rid of the red algae.Thank you all I appreciate all of your input, it is nice to be able to get advise from others who not alot more than this little minow.

I don't think it is overfeeding or the fish changing sex. I think it comes down to you have too many fish in too small of a tank. And the tank is too small for the angels. Stress can easily kill fish.

Well will just have to keep an eye on the little one and hope she gets a little relief now that the other fish has passed. She was fine when there was only the three of them before so with any luck she may pick up again. Thank you for in put evryone and I will keep you posted on how things work out.:Cheers: Kathy

Back