Hi Everyone!

2XAl

Salt Addict
Hi all, I just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself. My name is Alex and my wife and I have been aquarium hobbyists for years but recently (within the past year or so) have moved on to saltwater. I have been lurking on here for a while and have already picked up a ton of useful information and am hoping that i can start helping others as well. We have a 55gal. corner bowfront which we were fortunate enough to have given to us when a friend of ours was downsizing her house. There was quite the learning curve but we didn't lose any fish or coral and the tank is doing well (aside from some recent algae but thanks to everyone on here I have found the source of the problem and the algae is on its way out). I am in the process of setting up a 30 gallon octagon tank at my office that we were using as a bala shark tank before we put them in a 90 gallon in our kitchen. It will be a saltwater tank with rock, a few soft corals, and a couple fish. This will be the first tank that I have set up and cycled from scratch so I look forward to learning more from everyone.

Thanks for reading and I will see everyone around the board!

Hello and Welcome!

Im pretty sure bala sharks are actually a freshwater fish, but no saltwater shark species can live in a 90 gal tank.

hi little_fish- yes the balas are freshwater. The name is a misnomer as they aren't really sharks but they do get on the larger side. A 90 is usually the smallest you want to have for a pair of them. I am looking to upgrade them out of the 90 and convert that to salt in the near future, but I would build a sump for it first. The other tanks in the house all have either Cascade or Fluva cartridges.

Last edited:
Back