Hi from Cincinnati

mellowchef87

Reefing newb
Hey! I've actually been a member for a few years, but haven't had a saltwater tank for about 2 years now. I had a 10g nano tank for a couple months, but I had to give it up due to some unforeseen circumstances, so I am very much a beginner. Anyway, I have just aquired a 75g measuring around 48x18x19. Came with a stand, light (I think just a regular florescent aquarium light) and a HOB filter (I know I will probably need something different). I am planning on a FOWLR, but eventually down the road may want to do coral as well. Just looking for advice on the essential equipment I'm going to need to get. I know this is an expensive hobby, and want to start getting a plan together so I can do it right. Still thinking of a stock list, and I know certian things depend on stock, but I'd like to get a good start. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_20170221_142705.jpg
    IMG_20170221_142705.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_20170221_142714.jpg
    IMG_20170221_142714.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 355
Welcome back,

This might help:

Basics for saltwater

Lots of freshwater people want to try saltwater but don't know what to start with, especially with filtration. Here's some options on how to do it:

Super cheap and easy:

1. Keep it simple for your first saltwater tank; you can get more complex later.

2. You can start with a "fish-only" tank, with fake things, and regular “play sand” one inch deep. And one small pump to circulate water.

3. Lights don't matter for fish-only; get cheap, or nothing at all. Fish feel safe in the dark. Or set it by a window.

4. No sump or canister is needed. That's right, no “filter” the way you might think of one.

5. Feed sparingly, based on the fish you have, and change 30% of the water per month. Yes, this will require new salt (or new saltwater) to buy. But it’s still cheap and certainly easy to understand.

6. Your sand, and your water changes, are your filter!

Back