3 pajama cardinals
1 sailfin tang
3 yellow tangs
1 foxface rabbit
1 green mandarin goby
1 lawnmower blenny
3 damsels
1 huma trigger
Been doing saltwater for about 7-8 years. All aquaria for about 58 years. Also have an African Cichlid tank (55 gal.)

Sounds like an amazing tanks. One rule here. Pics or it didnt happen :D

thats cool that you have 3 yellow tangs together, I didnt know you could do that?

Is this a reef tank or Fish only tank ?

Welcome to Living reefs

Hi Jmck,

Thanks for the greeting. The yellows have been together since they were very young, and have been here for about 7 years. I introduced the sailfin about four years ago and there was some pushing and shoving, but now they all get along. Surprisingly, the damsels have not been aggressive, except with each other. I have a domino damsel that is very territorial and dominates the other two. Early on, I had a BIG clarkii clown who just beat the crap out of everybody, but he finally developed a gill infection and went belly up. Before I introduced the trigger to the tank, I had a beautiful banded coral shrimp. After the trigger, it was just parts of shrimp. Live and learn. The hardest fish to keep alive has been the mandarin goby. Its food requirements have necessitated getting copepods to add to the tank. I would take pictures but I am treating a massive red slilme infestation right now. I am using Kent Poly-Ox in combination with my skimmer, but not seeing any improvement. I think I will raise the salinity, and buy a powerhead to increase flow. Other than that I am stumped. I have tried other slime removers and the only thing that was removed was my money.

You seem fairly lucky that all these species get along so well. :)

Jump into the algae area and someone can probably give you a hand, first thing is post all water parameters, it has to be living off something. :) good luck

Thanks to all the greeters!

Jmck: I have been to the algae forum, and I think I know what to do. It's just a matter of doing it! I am feeding phytoplankton to the copepods. I wonder if that is feeding the red slime? If that is the case, feeding the mandarin goby's food may be exacerbating my problem. Do I starve both? Hmmm.

Welcome to the site!

I bet it is the phytoplankton.You know the dusty green film on the glass that builds up after several days?That is all the phyto the pods will ever need.IME,a mature tank as your own will be fine for a mandarin without any supplimenting anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bifferwine...I have minor flow from the skimmer, and fairly substantial flow from the canister filter.

Reeffreak...Thanks for the advice. I will stop feedling the phytoplankton. I tried an experiment last night. My salinity was at 1.021, and I added Instant Ocean directly to the tank to raise it, in increments, to 1.024. When the unmixed powder hit the carpet of red slime, it devastated it! Now, I will continue to raise the SG to 1.026 slowly to see where the slime starts to die.

In my online experience, which is very, very long, I have never found a group of people as helpful as I have found at LivingReefs. Thank you, and if I can help someone else, I surely will.

Jeff

It would be a whole lot less stressful to your fish,if you just topped off with salt water until your salinity was back in line.Then Siphon out as much cyano as possible and do a large water change.( at least 30% ).After that,cut the lights off for 3 or 4 days.Then the day you turn the lights back on,do another large water change while siphoning out any remaining cyano.

Your tank could stand to have some more flow. Cyano usually doesn't grow in areas of high flow. In a 125 gallon tank, you should have at least 4 powerheads in addition to the return from the filters you mentioned. You can just use cheap powerheads like MaxiJets (under $20 apiece usually). Try aiming some of them at the areas where the cyano is growing, and hopefully you'll see it peel up. You can try sucking it out with a turkey baster.

Back