Hi im a newbie!

Blazeybird

Reefing newb
Hey all Im new here! I am currently getting ready to set up my first salt aquarium (still in the research/getting prices/info stage) and so I found this awesome forum! Here is what I have/and what im planning on doing/getting!

(what I have)
29gall
standard fluorescent lighing
2 filter.. one 40 power and 1 15 power
Heater
160 gph power head (on lowest setting)

(what I plan on)
about..22 pounds of live rock (found at drs.fosterandsmith...I might add more later but this is to start with)
agriate (sp) and either all that or maybe a base of crushed coral?
test kit
hydromiter
salt
(fish stalk)
im going to push it here....so bear with me..this is just a compiled list of what I would like!

2 perc clownfish
1-2 yellow tailed damsel
1-3 green chromis
fire fish
royal gramma
purple pseduidea (sooo sp just a guess)
watchman goby
citron clown goby
(I know I cant put ALL those fish in one tank but thats what my and the fam like thats small enough..their are plenty of bigger fish that I love but cant have :frustrat: )
hermit crabs
snailes
cleaner shrimp

and MAYBE some LOW LOW light corals and maybe an anemmone?

Thanks for all your help
:mrgreen:

sounds like your on the right track.

I might rethink the adding a damsel or the pseudochromis as they get a bit territorial and could cause you some problems.

Also an anemmone isn't a low light Invert and infact requires pretty heavy lighting I would say medium to high.

Hope this helps you get started and welcome to the forums.

You might consider a protein skimmer too, power filters don't do very well compared to protein skimmers and nitrates tend to build up on the filter media. As for the damsels, yellow tailed blue damsels are not nearly as aggressive as other kinds. Definitely stay away from blue, domino, and the striped damsels, they will go so far as to kill other fish. I think a couple red or purple firefish would go well with a pair of clowns in your tank though.

I thought about a protien skimmer..and may add one..but they are pricey and I am only 14 so it doesnt exactly fit my budget (although mom is helping to pay :bounce: ) and I knew that the other damsels were mean thats why I went with the yellow tailed (and they are my fave anyways LOL)
im so exited! im happy im on the right track! :^:

I agree with Biffer... Any skimmer is better than nothing at all... check ebay they normally have jebo skimmers, etc in the 50$ish range and with a 29 gallon tank just about anything will be ok.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Welcome to the site. nothing to add at this time, except a small skimmer would be a plus. skilter use to have a hang on skimmer filter combo. hope this helps. good luck keep us posted.

Petsmart will price match and you can find a seaclone 100 online for about 55 and take the print out in to them and they will sell it for the same price. They are not great skimmers but anything is better then nothing on a tank that small. I would also skip the yellow tails they will bully the other fish.

ok..I think I can fit another $50 :twocents: or so into this but no more... remember im a poor 14 year old :grumble: (lol) :bounce: :^:

Be carfull when adding more live rock..It could start another cycle..Make sure its cured.:twocents:Also make sure to read as much as you can the helpful articals are a great place to start..

Last edited:
Back