hi im devin and im a reefaddict

beano

habitual reefer
Hi gang-

ive been interested in saltwater for a long time but the financial aspect kept me away. ive been doing smaller freshwater tanks (4g and 29g) for a few years. my gfriend bought me a 30 gallon and a bag of salt for my birthday so now im in the saltwater hobby business. so its been almost 3 weeks, ive got about 40lbs of liverock in there now, getting ready to add some aragonite next week, after i pay the rent of course, a fluval canister filter for added security, a 170gph powerhead, thinking of getting another, and other assorted gadgets.

im really taking my time here, mostly because the stuff is so expensive, and i want to make everything is done right because i dont want the money to be wasted in the end.

so even though stocking is a long way away, i have a plan: yellow watchman goby (must), sailfin blenny (would be nice), 2 clowns (obligaory), royal gramma (not sure) and a coral beauty (also not sure). not sure about the bioload i think its too much but with some more live rock it might work.

anyways, this forum is emensly helpful. and i dont know how to spell. thanks all.

devin

Hi Devin, and welcome!

In a 30 gallon, you could probably happily keep 4 or 5 smallish fish. We love to see pictures, so post pics when you get a chance! Sounds like you are off to a good start.

Welcome to LR, Devin. Reefing can be expensive, but there are places you can cut corners (and places not to cut corners). Dry rock mixed with you live rock will save you $$$. You can also find some things on Craig's list and other sites. And going slow is a great way to not only make your experience more successful and therefore more enjoyable, but makes it easier on the wallet as expenses are spread over more time.

Welcome and feel free to ask questions.
I have a 24 gal and I have 2 shrimp, 2 clowns and a royal gramma.

Hope to see some pics soon!

Back