Hi, i'm new and need a bit of direction..

Saponaceous

Reefing newb
So, im new to this whole salt water thing. Ive done a few fresh water ones in the past.
I'm using this site to help further my knowlege of what im trying to attempt to do.
I've done tons of research and it's making me go crazy. Then I read instructions on things i buy, and im going even more crazy.
So as is, im new. I live in Hawaii where my resources are pretty abundant. (salt water, sand, ect) I have a 29 gal tank that is sitting on a stand empty because I cannot decide where to start:frustrat:. I have in posession;
Aqueon Power Filter.
Aquaclear 301 Powerhead.
29 gal rectangle tank.
100w Heater.
Light/ hood.
Undergravel Filter.
Substrate from the beach thats not fine and not big.
Sun bleached coral.

If Someone could point me in the right direction, i'd appreciate it.
Id like to be able to make a reef tank for my son without being completely overwhelmed.
(I have no room for a sump and im still confused about the whole skimmer thing.) heh thanks again for viewin this.

I dont think id put beach sand in a contained environment like that, who knows whats been in it, on it. I would buy some substrate the size is your own personal preference. Just add some sand, pre mixed salt water from ro/di water. Some Dead and live rock throw your heater in there set to around 78 and let it cycle. Putting the powerhead in while your tank is cycling wouldnt hurt either keep some stuff from building up. I have no experience with undergravel filters but from what ive read they are not to useful. Hopefully someone else will chime in and give you some better pointers. I wish you luck! I also read that keeping corals in a tank is illegal in Hawaii. Is this true? I dont know why it would be, but someone told me that once.

The beach sand is sun bleached and washed down and then sun dried again. Ive read all the pros and cons about the undergravel filter and it still confuses me.....in numerous places i read that its bad because it doesnt give enough o2 to the rocks, but if i have a filter going or a powerhead, doesnt that help oxygenate the tank? From my understanding I cant go into the ocean and take the coral, but i can collect them from the shore or i can buy it. but thanks for the luck wishing!

Hello and Welcome!

Be very careful with taking anything right from the ocean. All the pollutants in the water in the water which are normally diluted in the ocean, will accumulate in your tank and will eventually cause it to crash.

Also you are much better off without the canister filter, that is a freshwater technology. Just do regular water changes.

You are right, you do need to oxygenate the tank, but having enough flow with powerheads is how you accomplish this.

Just be careful of collecting any rock or corals from the beach/ocean. You might end up introducing a pest or ending up with a nasty fine because the collection laws are very strict.

u should build a refugium/sump and ditch the power filters.
and a little bit of live sand and your ready to go.
No room at the moment for a sump. Maybe down the line when I can rearrange the house a bit.

Hello and welcome to the site...underground filters lead to high nitrates because it traps all kind of crap and junk underneath it.

Thank you! Thats what i've been reading about... it's actually the subject that led me to this site in the first place!

Or do what i do: fill the powerfilters with live rock rubble, you can use sand too, and use them for flow and a little extra space for that rock.
I had intended on using the power filter as a little extra flow for the tank, but adding some live rubble in it too is a great idea! Ill research that next!

Hello and Welcome!

Be very careful with taking anything right from the ocean. All the pollutants in the water in the water which are normally diluted in the ocean, will accumulate in your tank and will eventually cause it to crash.

Also you are much better off without the canister filter, that is a freshwater technology. Just do regular water changes.

You are right, you do need to oxygenate the tank, but having enough flow with powerheads is how you accomplish this.

Just be careful of collecting any rock or corals from the beach/ocean. You might end up introducing a pest or ending up with a nasty fine because the collection laws are very strict.
Thank you and I think youre right about the pollutants, so i was thinking ill start out with the whole ro/ instant salt way and as a side experiment, sample some water from the coast away from civilization.
I read that it cant hurt to have a power filter, just as long as i stay on top the carbon levels, and i kinda like that idea kbuser92 had about adding the like rubble to it.

+1 to everyone.

And welcome to the site!
Thank you!!:Cheers:

Should I keep posting in this thread concerning my tank and/or status update on how its going? Thanks again for all the help ya'll!

With a small tank all you really need for filtration is live rock and you could use a protein skimmer. You don't need a skimmer but its not going to hurt at all. A protein skimmer takes the organic compounds out of the water before they can convert into nitrites and nitrates. It's basically a saltwater filter but with a 29g weekly water changes of 15-20% works fine in keeping your water quality in check. Also you need a couple powerheads for water movement so you don't get junk collecting in the rocks and on the sand. You are going to want at least one lb per gallon of rock. You can buy a little live rock and the rest dry rock. The live will make the dry rock live in a few weeks. Live rock is much more expensive than dry so that's why a lot of us only get a small amount live and the rest dry. If you want a reef tank then you will need a good light for the corals. T5 or LED is good, depending on your budget. That's all I can think of for now. Good luck on the tank! Feel free to ask any other questions and you should start a build thread to keep track of your tanks progress there. :) and we love to see pictures on this site

With a small tank all you really need for filtration is live rock and you could use a protein skimmer. You don't need a skimmer but its not going to hurt at all. A protein skimmer takes the organic compounds out of the water before they can convert into nitrites and nitrates. It's basically a saltwater filter but with a 29g weekly water changes of 15-20% works fine in keeping your water quality in check. Also you need a couple powerheads for water movement so you don't get junk collecting in the rocks and on the sand. You are going to want at least one lb per gallon of rock. You can buy a little live rock and the rest dry rock. The live will make the dry rock live in a few weeks. Live rock is much more expensive than dry so that's why a lot of us only get a small amount live and the rest dry. If you want a reef tank then you will need a good light for the corals. T5 or LED is good, depending on your budget. That's all I can think of for now. Good luck on the tank! Feel free to ask any other questions and you should start a build thread to keep track of your tanks progress there. :) and we love to see pictures on this site
:Cheers:
Thank you! Maybe i will start a build thread. And do pictures. I have a little notebook that im keeping near the tank to log everything, but a build thread might be just as easy with the major things :D

Hello and welcome aboard!
Thank you

Welcome, seems that everyone has you covered :)
They do! Which is good cause my LFS guy seemed kinda...... vague about it all. "go to the beach get some water throw it in a clean trash can, get sand and rocks and a net to catch some fish. here buy this undergravel filter and this powerhead" is what i was told.... then i did research and now im like?!?!?!!?:grumble::grumble::grumble:

You need professional instructions or ask the exact person. That will be more helpful. Hope you will get it done well.
Good luck
Me too! Thanks

Wow I can't believe they told you all that. It seems like it would work just fine but it won't. It's more complex than that. Lol

Same here. Ive set up freshwater tanks before and even that wasnt that simple, which is why i researched this and now im on here.

So I went to DLNR DAR. (Department of Land and Natural Resources, Department of Aquatic Resources) And I got a 'Recreational Aquarium Permit' Which allows me to collect marine life as long as it adheres to the provisions of the Hawaii Revised Statuses or Administrative Rules of DLNR, Title 13.
I got a bunch of paperwork and there was the Hawaii Fishing Regulations booklet, and inside there was this on page 9.

"Coral and Live Rocks
Stony Coral
Unlawful to take, break, or damage, with any implement, any stony corals from the waters of the State, including and reef or mushroom coral. Unlawful to sell or offer for sale any stony coral.
Pink, gold, and Black Corals
Unlawful to take, break, or possess or sell any pink or gold corals from State waters.
Unlawful to take, destroy, or possess any black coral with a base less than 3/4 inches from State waters.
EXCEPTIONS: With a permit, to take or possess pink or gold coral for scientific or educational purposes; or to take or possess pink or gold coral for commercial purposes, provided that harvesters make every effort to take only mature colonies of pink coral 10 inches or larger in height. Note: Harvesting pink, gold, or black corals may be suspended at any time.
Live Rocks
Unlawful to take, break, or damage, with any implement, any rock or coral to which marine life is visibly attached."

I asked the lady at the office 'Well can I at least order it online and have LR or LS mailed to me'
She replied, 'You may not. If you have, who is to say you have not gone to the ocean and broke off a piece or coral. Same with turtles and whales, if you have a turtle shell for instance, how are we to know you didn't kill that creature, which is illegal."

I'm allowed to collect live fish, but not live rocks or sand.....

That has basically ended my hopes of owning a reef tank while I live in the state of Hawaii.
So it looks like im going to make a FO cause thats the only way to do it in Hawaii without breaking the law. :(
Thank you for all the help and such.

Back