Hi, I'm new

Australis

Angel Collector
Hello everyone :mrgreen:

Well i'm not that new to fishkeeping, just that i've yet to start on a marine tub project. So i wanna ask you guys bout what i need to do in order to get it started and what i need.

Well i've alwiz liked marine tanks but was never able to get it off due to many factors.

So finally, I have the opportunity to get something started...got a thick piece of glass laying around and convinced my dad to use it...lol :mrgreen:
And now theres a 8ft concrete tub in my garden under a shade...estimated to contain at least 1200L of water in it.

What i need now is :
1) someone help me calculate the the amount of salt i need
2) what i need to do to start
3) which brand of product is good
4) what other equipments do i need

I cant think of anything else right noe to ask...thanks in advance

Are you planning on putting your tank outside with a slab of glass covering it? That's what I understand. I've never seen that done before and I don't know how practical that is, since saltwater tanks need a lot of water movement and very specific temperatures.

You will need approximately 1/2 cup of salt per gallon of water. Be sure to only use marine salt specifically made for saltwater aquariums.

I'm not sure I can really answer your other questions as I think it will not work out very well to try and make a tank the way you are planning, sorry, but saltwater aquariums need a lot more than just a hole in the ground with a piece of glass over it.

HI

Thanks for the pointer. Well it will still look like an aquarium just that 3 out of 4 walls are made from concrete instead and the last part is glass. I've tested the temperature of the tank and its around 29-30C during the day. Well lets say our houses look different so the tank is under a shaded area in our garden with an orchid stand next to it...so most of the time, its cool.

The brand that i see here the most is Red Sea. Anyone uses this ? Would like to know how it is :mrgreen:

Now the tank is still under the cleaning process and will not be even activated for another month or so. Just wanna do more homewrok before i kick it off...

DO i need heavy lighting for the tank ?

I guess the best thing for you to do right now before asking any more questions would be to take at least 5 different pictures of the tank and the area it will be at and post them for people to see and then more than likely a lot of your questions and concerns could be addressed more easily. Once the folks here see what you are working with they can give you all kinds of advice.

I agree with I.V., some pictures would be a great help.

Lights will be necessary if you plan on keeping corals, anemones, clams, stuff like that. If you want to keep fish only, then it being in a shaded area with no lights will be fine. The problem is finding a place to plug the lights in, and keeping them protected from the rain. If they get wet, they could start a fire or short out very easily.

I'm saying all this assuming the tank will be outdoors, is that correct?

I don't live in Maylasia but I'm going to assume there is at least a 10 degree temperature swing between the day and night.I believe you will need a chiller and heaters unless this is some massive 2000L tank.

Red Sea Salt?Good salt if that's what you are asking.

you should prob just turn it into a Koi pond. I dunno where you are gonna hide all the electrical equipment you need for a saltwater tank from the elements and how you would light it.

a saltwater aquarium outside, that sounds interesting. I personally I think that will be preatty hard to maintain.

Before you do anything you need to realize that a concrete tank has to cure with water in it for a month or more. Then have that water drained out, new water added and possibly aged some more. Concrete is made with lime and the lime released during curing will cause an extremely high pH which would kill any marine life put in the tank. There is really no way to speed this curing except possibly changing the water more frequently and keeping the water in motion while the tank is curing. Cure the tank in regular water not mixed water.

hi guys...thanks for the reply...

I will try to snap some photos and post it here. I dont know how to really explain it coz it would look funny for you to imagine it out... Our houses here look sooo much more different...the tank is actually sheltered from rain even if its outdoor...

I'll go snap a few photos with my N93, hope it would look clear to you guys though :mrgreen:

Here's a pix of my messy garden right after the renovation process...so everything is everywhere.

I've labeled some of the suspicious items. I left out one thing though...the canister thingy at the left side of the tub is a water filter

Sorry but over here...its midnight

Attachments

• tub2.jpg
    tub2.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 165
  • tub3.jpg
    tub3.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 159
Good luck with the project and post pics as you go along.

Sorry,I can't be much more help though.It's really unheard of to do a saltwater setup outdoors.

First week of seasoning tub is almost done. Another week more to go before i start fillin the sand and testin it out with freshwater...and an unsuspecting guppy offering :)

Plumbing is almost complete. I had to redo the whole system as the contractors...erm made something else that i couldnt recognize :pooh:

Will fill in 1inch of crush coral with two piles of live rocks (when the curing process and conditioning process is done)

Can someone advise me on what kind of fishes to put in ?
was thinking of angelfishes...was told that i cant have two of the same type in the tub...so can i have two different looking ones in the tank ? safe ?

What about butterflies ? which species can live together and not so demanding (don't need to feed on live corals).

Can i have more than 1 pair of maroon clowns in my tank ???

Calculated the volume officially and now it stands at 971.90L
DO i calculate the volume in the sump filter too ?

Wow....thats about 256 gallons. That is a lot of water. Would that tank be getting a lot of direct sunlight? What about pollen and other stuff getting into the tank?

Hi
Nah...not even any form of direct sunlight...only some deflected rays during the early morning and evening...most of the time its gloomy and cool under the shades from the orchid stand. Pollens ? I didn't know that orchids produce them, i tot they uses spores...:shock: well they dun flower all the time...only once a while. The water is surprisingly chilly though...haven't taken the official reading though but it does feel like 26-28C in there...

i had to modify my pipes...seems like the filter was in the way so i have to work around it...:pooh:
will post a pic of the improvised pipes...

If the water is cool, you'll have to buy a few heaters to keep the water temperature correct. You want to aim between 24 C and 27 C, that's 75 to 80 F.

Different types of angelfish will get along well, but two of the same species will usually fight to the death. I would also advise only one pair of clowns, they are very territorial. Most butterflyfish are very difficult to keep alive, but the raccoon butterflyfish would be a good choice, and isn't that difficult to keep.

Back