Hi, I'm new

Popeye isn't caused by water parameter problems, it's caused by the eye getting hurt by something. Usually by bumping into rocks, getting caught in a net or fighting with other fish. It usually goes away on its own, but if it doesn't, the fish can lose its eye, go blind and starve to death.

Popeye isn't caused by water parameter problems, it's caused by the eye getting hurt by something. Usually by bumping into rocks, getting caught in a net or fighting with other fish. It usually goes away on its own, but if it doesn't, the fish can lose its eye, go blind and starve to death.

I thought popeye was related with poor water quality? At least everything I have previously read states that.

Also doesnt spinach help Popeye? (A joke, dont do it!)

In freshwater, I believe it is caused by water quality, but in saltwater, the majority of the time popeye is due to some sort of abrasion of the eye. Here's a good article about the various causes:

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/compldiagnodisease/a/aa053001.htm

It says, "Poor water quality or environmental conditions have been suggested as other possible precursors to eye infections." but the majority of popeye cases can be attributed to direct injury of the eye.

I do have a Liverock in the container though, but i took it out yesterday just before i posted.
Forgot to mention that the left eye is the one with the pop issue and also blurred...is that very bad ?

Eye pop is normal again....:Cheers:
So is the occasional white spot recurrance :shock:
Also seen the emperor's finnage looking abit and shredded & tattered...could it be the hypo treatment affecting it or somebody beating the :pooh: out of him ?
My pods' population seems to be lesser...

Main question is that my skimmer is not foaming as it used to be. I'm collecting bout 1/8 of a cup in a week that is if my dad was feedin them heavily

Hypo will effect a lot of things.Its most likely the reason your seeing fewer pods.Its also probably cutting down on the foam in your skimmer.
As for the emperors fins,I'd say somebodys picking on him.

Need a pointer...
Since the ich explosion...i've been puttin my hands so very often into the tub and the fishes got a lil bit freaked out with it.
They used to come very near when its feedin time...now everyone ducks for cover when i approach...and after a min or two, they come forward to ask for food. Any sudden movement would trigger the rest to scoot off frantically...

So what do i need to do to get them used to me again ? :question:

They may be stressed from the Ich, treatment, or picking on each other. They will probably return to normal once they are in a healthy environment.

Basically quit putting your hands in their home...lol. I would make sure I stood next to the tank during feeding time so they learn not to be afraid of you anymore.

I would stand near the tank several times throughout the day just so they don't associate you with getting in their territory. They'll scoot at first but should come out after a few minutes. Also if possible keep your hands out of the tank for awhile.

Lol,
My tub is on the floor. The one they would see most often would be my dad as he is all the time at home. I don't stick my hands in nowdays unless i give them algae :D

After careful pondering...I think i'm gonna remodify my old fashioned sump.
Care to comment on my wacky design :mrgreen:...
Also plan to add in a airlift skimmer at the opposing end of the outlet pump. This will be powered by my O3...please advise on this matter before :death:

All parts will be pre-assembled and installed within a day.
So my tub will be runnin on mechanical filtration for two days with minimal feedin

Attachments

• sump-mod.jpg
    sump-mod.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 138
Ok...finally gonna post a few pix...
(its still crowded in there...i know i'm gonna get flammed for this)

Oh and the halide there...its a high powered one...:mrgreen:
Not recommended for fish unless u wanna boil them lol

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 160
  • feedtime.jpg
    feedtime.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 160
  • tank2.JPG
    tank2.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 140
  • shrimp.JPG
    shrimp.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 150
  • hal1.JPG
    hal1.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 156
How many fish do you have in there? And how often do you have one die?

That is a rather large tank to take care of, but I wish i had one that big too. I've only been in the hobby for 10 months though.

Nobody died since the ich subsided...
I just bought a new skimmer coz my old one is not working properly...fluctuating water level keeps on reseting the bubble build up...:grumble:

Back