Hi Newbie SW

There is very little use of chemical additives in saltwater. In some tanks you have to dose some trace elements because the corals use them up faster than you be reasonably expected to do water changes.

There is nothing to do but research while you wait, which is a good thing. The more knowledge you have, the better. Plus nothing good happens fast in a saltwater tank.

The only thing that's happens fast in a SW tank is chemical in nature and nothing good :D

OMG my mind is swimming to much info LOL!

Are all sea anemones poisons? How about Tube dwellers? Which would be good for my nano system?

Looking to get 2 false clowns. Am told they only get 2-3" compared to true clowns? Need to find a store that has them.

Be sure when you're on the home page to use the search tab and go under advanced search feature. Type in what you're looking for and it will show all matches in the forum. There's enough info there to make your eyes bleed lol.

That small of a tank fish are going to be hard to find and you will have to be happy with one. I had a clown goby in my 10 gallon that was a very cool fish. Very nice bright yellow color and a lot of personality. Stay away from sea horses they are very difficult to care for and really need to be in a species tank. If you have to have horses you need to start reading about them.

Considering the False Clown it only gets 3" i'm told. A true clown can get quite large and I don't want to 'crowd' a fish.

Hello and welcome! The thing with the white tips sounds like a ball nem, which are harmless hitchhikers.

I would skip the canister filter. They really aren't much use in saltwater. Your most important source of filtration comes from your live rock. I would also skip the UV filter, doesn't do much but waste your money.

The gobies (which is what I am assuming your are talking about) will do just fine as long as they are eating frozen foods.

Well already ordered the filter, heater and funny but most vids on Youtube recommend the UV.

What filter system would you recommend for this little tank? SUMP is way overkill. Thanks for advice.

Don't put any fish in your tank that you don't intend it to be its permanent home, for one, most people don't recognize the signs of stress in fish until they are dead. Two, it is really hard to remove a fish once it is in the tank already. I think the purple fish fish (as most people call them) will do fine in that tank long term, they don't move around much.

Also remember that you are limited to one or two fish in this tank, so pick wisely!

For corals, they are usually sold as small frags so they will have plenty of time to grow until you decide to frag them yourself.

Yes, 2-3 fish unless I find some micro gobies which I have found, 1' fully grown.

What purple fish! LOL looked at alot of purple fish, is it a Goby?

Stichodactyla mertensii is a huge anemone....3 footer! If you want to keep nems they need to be put into a well established tank. Preferably a year or older. Need stable water conditions. If you still want to keep a carpet nem look into mini or maxi mini anemones stichodactyla tapetum. minis are only a couple inches across and my maxis got to be 6-7 inches across. My avatar is one of my maxis....cool nems!

Yes, salty i'm thinking mini, micro, dwarf and nano an all creatures for this tank,

Your most commonly available clown species will all stay pretty small, just stay away from maroon clowns and tomato clowns.

Regrading the purple fish fish, I meant purple fire fish :) silly auto correct.

UV sterilization is one of those products that sounds great but when you look at the actual science they are pretty much junk. I think your tank is about 10 gal right? For small tanks, all you really need to do for the filtration is have plenty of live rock and do regular water changes. No need for overly fancy equipment. Although a sump is very handy because it increases your water volume and gives you a place to hide equipment.

Your most commonly available clown species will all stay pretty small, just stay away from maroon clowns and tomato clowns.

Regrading the purple fish fish, I meant purple fire fish :) silly auto correct.

UV sterilization is one of those products that sounds great but when you look at the actual science they are pretty much junk. I think your tank is about 10 gal right? For small tanks, all you really need to do for the filtration is have plenty of live rock and do regular water changes. No need for overly fancy equipment. Although a sump is very handy because it increases your water volume and gives you a place to hide equipment.

Well, I have seen DYI sumps and wet/dry's that I could make down the road if needed. I'm also prepared if this just doesn't work, (which now I think will work the more and more I look), to through everything into a larger tank.

Been looking at all the anemone's and micro-maxi polyp's, shrimps and crabs I might not even have fish LOL:D

Dude I just got my BRS 4 stage plus. Its awesome (no leaks and 0 TDS). Been running great. Most RO/DI systems I looked at with similar functions and quality were around the same price, $169.00. You can also do what I did and hook it up to your kitchen sink (bypasing the DI). Now I have a seperate faucet where filtered drinking water comes out. This is a great way to justify to your partner that you are buying an expensive filter for your fish tank. You can use it for watering plants, dogs or cats, and you could even plum it into you automatic ice maker in your refrigerator. Buy it man... its worth not having to lug water around town in your car.

Dude I just got my BRS 4 stage plus. Its awesome (no leaks and 0 TDS). Been running great. Most RO/DI systems I looked at with similar functions and quality were around the same price, $169.00. You can also do what I did and hook it up to your kitchen sink (bypasing the DI). Now I have a seperate faucet where filtered drinking water comes out. This is a great way to justify to your partner that you are buying an expensive filter for your fish tank. You can use it for watering plants, dogs or cats, and you could even plum it into you automatic ice maker in your refrigerator. Buy it man... its worth not having to lug water around town in your car.
Thanks for info. Yes I think it will be a good investment also. Something yuo have said bothers me. If you hook it up to your kitchen faucet you lose/by-pass the DI?

I plan on hooking it up to the kitchen sink, so a I going to lose the DI? And why?:frustrat:

Its bad for you because the all the ions have been removed from the water, which it will then pull from your teeth, damaging them. That is also probably why it tastes funny as well because taste is dependent on ions.

Agreed. bulk reef supplies sells a kit with all the stuff you need for a faucet hook up. I bought the faucet hook up kit after I bought my RO/DI. But it's cheaper to buy the whole kit with everything in it.

Back