Hi Newbie SW

Ok guys and gals after 1 week of cycling my readings are Nitrates 40, Nitrite 0, Alk 180-300!!, ph 7.8, how we doing?
Also, this sounds stupid even to me but....I want to rearrange my rock, is it really BAD to do now when cycling? There seems to be alot of info on adding and moving rock in established tanks and causing mini cycles.

Was there an ammonia spike? What kind of test kit are you using? There is a huge difference between 180 and 300 ppm Alk is why I ask. If you're going to rearrange now would be the time to do it.

You can re-arrange your rocks, it wont hurt a thing. Also what is your ammonia reading? That alk sounds a little off. Are you using an API kit? They tend to go bad really fast, i really only trust them for basic tests. I would double check your alk reading against another kit.

You can re-arrange your rocks, it wont hurt a thing. Also what is your ammonia reading? That alk sounds a little off. Are you using an API kit? They tend to go bad really fast, i really only trust them for basic tests. I would double check your alk reading against another kit.

Whats an API kit? Just the funky Tertra plastic test strips. :) NEW

Ya, test strips are notorious for being highly inaccurate. Get yourself a good liquid test kit and then we will have a much better idea about what is going on with your water

The best way is to link them through a site like photobucket. Under the photography forum there is a sticky that shows you how to do this

Hi reefers, OK have a Photobucket acct so I can share my build. Here is the latest
SW Reef Build Photos by rlsdsurfer | Photobucket

May have a heat issue. Not sure. Tank is 80 w/o a heater. Drops to 76 at night w/o light 4 degree swing. I am adding an in-line heater for the night drops, however is 80 to high? some say 79-80 is great, others are saying 78.5 79.5. So whats the deal, some like it hot... LOL

Last edited:
Hi reefers, OK have a Photobucket acct so I can share my build. Here is the latest
SW Reef Build Photos by rlsdsurfer | Photobucket

May have a heat issue. Not sure. Tank is 80 w/o a heater. Drops to 76 at night w/o light 4 degree swing. I am adding an in-line heater for the night drops, however is 80 to high? some say 79-80 is great, others are saying 78.5 79.5. So whats the deal, some like it hot... LOL
Found these two articles, think I answered my question. :bounce:
Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
POLL: Your Tank Temp, We Need Yours! - Reef Central Online Community

Hi reefers, LFS suggested I add some bio-chemical to my tank. I'm on my 8 day. Can some one clue me in on what and why he may be suggesting this. Not fond of any chemicals and will do my best to find natural remedies for this reef.

LFS is out to make money from you. Don't add anything unless you have a test kit for it. Also the 2 most important things for your tank right now is time and patients.

They owe me Salty. Credit for Endlers. So far my rock and sand cost 0.
However, it appears I was given a piece of recycled rock. Has some aiptaisia, and feather dusters on it, (i'm told). Any, concerns or is this a good thing for cycle? These things i'm told are feather dusters are tiny, clear hair like arems with tiny very white round tips that seem to come and go?

Last edited:
Need help please, have 1 piece of recycled LR, (don't know yet if that is good or bad), nut it has a small aiptaisia, and these nocturnal, (close up when light hits them), urchant looking things. They look like little 'patches' of clear hairs with round white dots on the end when they are open. When there closed they have what appears to be a hole in the center so they blend into the rock.

Last edited:
You can kill the aiptasia with aiptasia X, and the other thing sounds like a ball nem which are harmless

Hi LF, I just looked at the Ball nem., (Pseudocorynactis/Corynactis) They look similar, but these have no color and close up when light hits them! Can't see anyone wanting something that closes up so you can't see it when the lights come on? :dunno:

Back