Hi Newbie SW

so this is normal behavior for them the ball nem, to retract with light? I currently have a towel over the tank to make them appear again.

LF, just noticed your in Denver. Spent 11 years in Grand Junction and Broomfield. Built many roads in the mountains. Little Snowmass, outside Aspen, didn't exist until we built all the roads.
As for the Ball nems. they have been hiding/contracted everyday all day. Only viable for maybe 4 min. when I first turn on light.
BTW, is this recycled rock a bad thing? It has algae and the others are barren? TY for help LF

LF, just noticed your in Denver. Spent 11 years in Grand Junction and Broomfield. Built many roads in the mountains. Little Snowmass, outside Aspen, didn't exist until we built all the roads.
As for the Ball nems. they have been hiding/contracted everyday all day. Only viable for maybe 4 min. when I first turn on light.
BTW, is this recycled rock a bad thing? It has algae and the others are barren? TY for help LF

Well you want good algae on the liverock, so it depends on what type of algae it is? any pics?

Well you want good algae on the liverock, so it depends on what type of algae it is? any pics?

Brown/rust the recycled LR is the only one showing any growth, all others are baron. It is also a different color. A tan color where as the new LR is LT beige/greyish. They look the same as far as texture. Sorry now pics, wish I had a camera.

Does it come off the rocks easily like dust? If so it's probably diatoms which is a normal part of setting up a new tank.

There it is LF, and there are many 5/6 maybe all smaller some more together then others.

Attachments

• Picture 17.jpg
    Picture 17.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Two weeks cycled note brown algae. Got recycled LR.

Attachments

• Picture 9.jpg
    Picture 9.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 229
  • Picture 10.jpg
    Picture 10.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 229
  • Picture 15.jpg
    Picture 15.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
ey refers, lighting question, have a Coralife 48' set up for fresh water I think. Has a 6700k and a bulb that says colorlife?

Have an Acentic bulb do I need to add it and change the 6700k to a 10000k?
I'm concerned the heat from the 10000k would be to much. It is @ 80 w/the 6700k. Tank is only 15" deep? Is there a 'best' height for reef tanks?

OK, have my first occupants after 3 weeks tank has cycled well :) Have 2 red, 2 tiny blue hermits, 3 ast. and 3 narss. snails. nitrites 0, nitrates 0/.25, amo 0 ph 8.0.
What to feed them? Have some baby brine, and flakes? Suggestions?

hello reefers, any one there? I have a bunch of white dots on my class thus AM. It's been 24 hours since CUC was introduced. The dots are located where I dumped all the snails and craps. I think they might be snail eggs but some are moving! Tiny white dots smaller then a pin head.

Back