Hi Newbie SW

there are also some very tiny clear looking bugs also along with the little white dots. I just put in CUC 24 hours ago.

When I did introduce the CUC one of the snails, a Cerith looked like it was regurgitating something, kinda tan mesh/net thing still in bottom of tank.

Attachments

• Picture 18.jpg
    Picture 18.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Damn, do I have a issue already? The hermits red leg and very small blue legs, are they not reef safe? Some say they are great CUC but will eat snails! Others they are not necessary and are trouble. Did I get the wrong kind? They are 1 cerith,(gave birth i think), 2 Nass, 3 ast,(discovered these are for established tank not newly cycled tank),SOB What about Bristol worms and Hermits?

Some do not like hermits others do. I have hermits and will always have them. You find a lot of different opinions with just about everything you do in this hobby. As far as the white things on your glass it is hard to tell in the pic but are probably copepods or maybe little micro stars either way it is good. Bristle worms are beneficial as well.
Next time you have a question start a new thread under one of the topics that applies and you will get a lot better response.

Some do not like hermits others do. I have hermits and will always have them. You find a lot of different opinions with just about everything you do in this hobby. As far as the white things on your glass it is hard to tell in the pic but are probably copepods or maybe little micro stars either way it is good. Bristle worms are beneficial as well.
Next time you have a question start a new thread under one of the topics that applies and you will get a lot better response.
OK thanks Nick. Trying to determine what all the white thing on the LR are also. They only come out at night/dark and disappear within 2 min of light exposure.

Hey guys, Just got back from LFS and I'm confused on Lighting. I was told that 4 watts per gallon was the rule. My light fixture is a Coralife LO 28w T5 Aentic and a 6700k white and I have added some 435nm leds for moonlight.
My tank holds about 7 gallons an is 3.25 inches wide and 12 inches deep. The light is4 inches above the water line. Now I'm told this is fine yet the LFS is saying no. That the color spectrum isn't right with the 6700k, that I need the 10000k. The light specturm looks very close to me. Anyway, i'm concerned about heat w/10000k and do you think I should by a !0000k LO or ditch the whole Coralife balaist. FYI, just bought it can't really afford a HO T5 balast right now. Please advice. Thanks in advance guys/gals :)

Well, apparently I seem to ask to many questions here since now one wants to answer my posts. Have a situation with a dead fish carcass irretrievable in my recently cycled tank! Lost under sand bed somewhere!

t5 doesnt put off enough heat to worry about it. I used to have my t5's about 3 inches above the water if not closer without a problem with heat. The 6700k compaired to the 10000k is huge! If you can find yourself a 12000k which would work even better. What kind of stuff are you trying to keep in your tank? How'd the fish body get under the sand bed??? take a large for and "rake" the sand till the fish turns up, in a tank that small you may have to dig around for the body.. one of the bad things about small tanks is stuff like that can destroy the tank.

t5 doesnt put off enough heat to worry about it. I used to have my t5's about 3 inches above the water if not closer without a problem with heat. The 6700k compaired to the 10000k is huge! If you can find yourself a 12000k which would work even better. What kind of stuff are you trying to keep in your tank? How'd the fish body get under the sand bed??? take a large for and "rake" the sand till the fish turns up, in a tank that small you may have to dig around for the body.. one of the bad things about small tanks is stuff like that can destroy the tank.

Your kidding destroy my reef. I looked I can't find it!! So it's a must! Had it in my fingers and it slipped out and down into and behind the rocks and disappeared!
Lighting Going to a 10000k LO dosen't seem to be a big deal so I guess I will.

Attachments

• Picture 46.jpg
    Picture 46.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 223
  • Picture 47.jpg
    Picture 47.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 218
  • Picture 49.jpg
    Picture 49.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
well you can A) dig around the rocks untill you find the body or B) let the body decompose in the tank and kill everything else inside and do a full blown water change..... in either case if you think the body is under that sand you're going to have to get it out. Going to cause you MAJOR problems in the long run.

well you can A) dig around the rocks untill you find the body or B) let the body decompose in the tank and kill everything else inside and do a full blown water change..... in either case if you think the body is under that sand you're going to have to get it out. Going to cause you MAJOR problems in the long run.

Wow.... Crap, 2 people say a problem 1 says don't worry! :frustrat:

I mean if you think about it this way that body is going to break down releasing major toxins into your tank. Because its only 7 gallons that toxin level is going to be really high compaired to 70 gallons. If you had a solid cleanup crew IE bunch of hermits/crabs or shrimp you could get lucky and the cleanup crew would ahve that eaten before it was a problem. It can be a pain to dig for a fish u cannot find, sometimes they dissapear for weeks and turn up in a hole in the live rock and it turns out fine, they're alive and well. Redoing rock is always a pain but sometimes its needed :-/

I mean if you think about it this way that body is going to break down releasing major toxins into your tank. Because its only 7 gallons that toxin level is going to be really high compaired to 70 gallons. If you had a solid cleanup crew IE bunch of hermits/crabs or shrimp you could get lucky and the cleanup crew would ahve that eaten before it was a problem. It can be a pain to dig for a fish u cannot find, sometimes they dissapear for weeks and turn up in a hole in the live rock and it turns out fine, they're alive and well. Redoing rock is always a pain but sometimes its needed :-/

Got it yea, I don't like the fact of a decomposing fish in my tank. don't really like the idea of my critters eating it either. TY again:D

Hi gang anyone know what these curled up snails on my class are? They are silver w/red inside stripe, and have small fine red hairs in the openings.

Attachments

• Picture 79.jpg
    Picture 79.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 205
Back