Hi! Newby Here Needs Help with Shopping List!!

lynnard

Reefing newb
Hi there all fish lovers!! I've had a 65 gallon freshwater for about 15 years and have always done water changes and vaccuumed regularly. i didn't find it any work at all and so have now decided to go to a 90 gallon with saltwater, despite everyone's "whoaaa, really???" i'm quite confident i can do it. however i am trying to come up with a list of things i need. as far as lighting would 6x54w t5 bulbs be enough or should i go with 8?? would like moon lights as well. also i learned that the needle wheel impeller was not as dependable as the pinwheel. anyone heard of "red sea X2"-either venturi or not?? last question: i have a hang on tank filter for 100 gallons. what would be best to complete the filtration process...thank you all soooo much. getting excited as i get closer to fish!!!
lynn

:question:

I'd go with the 8 bulb lamp, if you can swing it. Red Sea is supposed to be good, but I don't use that brand so I can't help you there. You going with a sump? If you use a sump you will eventually want to wean yourself off that hob filter, but it will help you clean the water until all your other stuff is online. The only filter you really need in a marine tank is live rock and some powerheads, about 1-2 lbs. of rock per gallon of water.

That's right, I suggest that you install a sump and just make sure you have plenty of live rock and a good skimmer. You are always better to have more light than less, so if the budget permits, go with 8. Your biggest expenses are going to be the lighting, skimmer and live rock. You can save money on LR by buying some dry base rock and adding LR to it. The LR will seed the dry and in time it will all have the beneficial bacteria in it. Don't cut corners with your lighting or skimmer though. They are important to your long term success in keeping the livestock you will want. Are you going to build a reef or FOWLR? the lighting won't be as big of a deal if it's a FOWLR.

Welcome to the site and the hobby.Were happy you joined us.
Sea and Justin have you pretty well covered.

Hi Lynn!

Either of those lights would be great for your tank. I'd suggest not adding the hang on back filter. They really aren't meant for saltwater and can be counterproductive.

If you were that successful with your freshwater tank, I'm sure you'll be just as successful with your saltwater tank. I think a lot of it has to do with good maintenance habits--and it sounds like you have those covered! Oh yes, and a passion for fish! :) Welcome. We love fish photos! ;)

Back