Hi

CopeluvsCope

Reefing newb
Hi,
I am new to this forum and have some question, please be patient with me and some of my questions might be really DUMB :(
Can I add new live sand to my existing sand??? Will this cause a new cycle and kill what I have or can I add a little each day.
Thank you in advance I would really appreciate any advice. :)

you can add 2-3 pounds in a day but put it in one area of the tank do not cover very much at a time. then wait for a a few days before you add more. and welcome to the site.

Thank you so much for the reply. I was told that if I did use new sand I would kill everything in my tank and then another person said go ahead and dump it in.
Thank you again :)

Welcome to the site.
Like James said.You can add new sand,as long you dont completely cover what you already have.

You dont really need to use live sand though. Just adding regular aragonite sand would be fine to add to your sand bed. It will save you some money

Hi and welcome!

It's highly unlikely that adding new sand will kill your animals. If you add a little bit at a time (an inch or so), it shouldn't pose a problem.

Hello again
I have added some new live sand mostly in one area and against the back and front of the tank, as there was none to very little specs in those areas now I am being told not to put any new fish in my tank for about 2 weeks.
Is this true? A friend told me about about her co-working is breaking down her tank because she is moving. She has a beautiful set up and is selling some of the fish and live rock from her tank. Can I put in live rock and fish now or do I have to wait???
THank you in advance for reading my dumb questions :)

how long has your tank been set up if it is not cycleing than you can add what ever you wand but dont add a lot of fish at once maybe two at the most than wait for at least a week before adding more inverts dont count against your bioload so you could add many at once

I agree with Daugherty. Add one or two fish (two if they're small). Then watch your parameters carefully, and be ready to do a water change if they spike. New tanks can be tricky, and it's very easy to set the parameters out of whack by adding new animals.

What kind of fish are you thinking of adding?

James and Biff have you covered on the fish.
But you can add all the cured live rock you want.That wouldnt cause any problems.

Back