Hi :)

Airlee

Reefing newb
Hi All,
I have been in the hobby about 3-4 years. I have a 75 g with live rock, 2 clownfish, a damsel, and a very very large brittle star. She came as a hitchhiker on a piece of rock and was the size of about a silver dollar. She is now about 16 inches from tip to tip. She is spoiled ;)
Tank has a few mushrooms, spaghetti and colt corals, not many at all though. The tank is stocked pretty light I think.
UGH, I got invaded by aptasia, hence my looking for yall here.
So I am off to read some posts then bombard yall with questons.
I am looking forward to swapping fish tales with yall ;)
Air~

Well you came to the right spot, even if you find your answers in the post, still share what you are planning and don't forget the pics. Welcome aboard the board.

Hello and Welcome!!!

I would suggest aiptasia X, or if your infestation is bad enough, a berghia nudi. They only eat aiptasia though, so be sure you can rehome it when they are all gone, otherwise they will starve to death.

Aiptasia X will only worsen your problem in the future, I know this from experience, it only irritates the anemone which make it release many buds in which you will not see after the initial use; the problem may seem better but in longevity of things you will see many more Aiptasia popping up, as for the Berghia Nudibranch you will need many of them for them to kill a single aiptasia there are colonial creatures that attack the aiptasia in groups and it is not the nudibranchs that you add, it is there offspring which will kill off your infestation in all due time. Most memebers of the AEOLID NUDIBRANCHS family will consume aiptasias.

Mark

Actually you do need more than one, read a website that is not interested in selling them. Also a friend of mine who lives near me study's them and also breeds them. You can think what you wish though. I will agree with consistent use of aiptasia X for best results.

Mark

Wouldnt it be in a website's best interest to sell you more than one?

But they do recommend that you get more than one if you have a heavy infestation and are going to need multiple generations to deal with the issue.

The page below will give you all the info on how many need for a heavy infestations and how big your tank is.
Learn About Berghia Nudibranchs here | Questions and concerns about Berghia

But if you only have 7 or 8 aiptasia, the nudis are not a good solution to your issues.

Just saying a information website would mostly likely have much better knowledge than a website trying to sell something since most pander to their clients, and for 7 or 8 they would not be a good solution, because they would starve rather quickly.

Hi all, Thanks bunches for the warm welcome :)
Pics??? hahaha I would not show anybody a pic of my poor tank the way it looks right now. I have aiptasia EVERYWHERE!!! Big small, I have them all ;)
Can they sting? When my starfish is going for a piece of food that landed near one, if she touches it she jerks her tentacle back real quick.
My situation: I am moving and once moved upgrading to a much larger aquarium :) :) min 175?? something like that. I didn't have one single aiptasia for years until I bought a green mushroom from a LFS, now they are everywhere. I had used Joes and Aiptasia X. I think at first I didn't do it right which caused them to spread so bad. Now, when I use it, I can get it on one good, but I have soooooo many now OMG, in places I didn't know I had!
I would just chunk it all and start all over with the new aquarium, but I have 3 gorgeous Marshall show pieces I would hate to lose. So, tips to get rid of them now, maybe even when I break it down can the rock soak in anything a long time and then me recure it?? I am open to all suggestions.
Have a great night all,
Air~

Ya, they can definitely sting, and it hurts too!

If your infestation is that bad, i would go the berghia route. And you can try boiling your rock to get rid of the aiptasia, but then they would be dead.

I dont know of any way of keeping them live and get rid of the aiptasia by soaking them.

If I were you, I'd get about 10 peppermint shrimp and let them go to town on the aiptasia. They do sting, they can kill corals that they touch.

Welcome to the site! This is also hit or miss but I believe people also have boiled water and sucked it up with a syringe then injected it into the aptasia in their tank.

Not too sure on how effective it would be but it's an option i've heard of before.

The nubi idea sounds really good. I am going to order some of those and keep yall posted :)
Thanks again for the warm welcome.
Appearing soon in a lighting thread near you ;)
Air~

Welcome to the site. I lived in Kansas City for about 15 years. There are times when I miss living there. Especially around Ren Fest time. Though now that I am in Hutchinson its much easier to go to Kansas City for Ren. :)

Hi, Nice to meet you. I am originally from MS. I moved to KC about 11 years ago. I fell in love with it. But now hubby is being tranferred to NC, so I am busy putting the house on the market. I will miss tailgating at Chiefs games! ;)
Nobody can tailgate like Chiefs fans ;)
I refuse to be a Panther fan :p
I ordered the nubis last night. I will keep yall posted on them.
Thanks again :)
Air~

Back